UNDERWEAR: THE FABRIC OF OUR LIVES
By Bianca @ Planned Parenthood | Aug. 7, 2017, 8:58 p.m.
These hot summer months may have us sweating from places we never knew could sweat. And that’s okay. But one area is important to keep dry this summer and all year round: your vagina. For that extra moisture, cotton underwear is your vagina's best friend, and here are a couple reasons why:
- Prevention of yeast (Candidiasis) infections: A vaginal yeast infection, which is also sometimes called vulvovaginal candidiasis, happens when the healthy yeast that normally lives in your vagina grows out of control.
- Prevents irritation such as vaginitis, the irritation of your vagina or vulva.
- Keeps you dry, to keep bacteria balanced. The vagina is able to keep a balance of good healthy bacteria, but when moisture accumulates it becomes off-balance, which can result in bacterial infections like bacterial vaginosis (BV).
- Cotton underwear can be a comfy, cute, and affordable option and it allows your vagina to breathe.
Other than the importance of wearing cotton underwear, some other useful tips for vaginal health include:
- Don’t douche or use anti-bacterial soaps, deodorant tampons, or feminine sprays. Your vagina cleans itself. Let it keep the good bacteria and kick out the bad stuff on its own.
- Change out of wet or sweaty clothing as soon as possible.
- Drink plenty of water — for overall health and to prevent dehydration in these summer months.
- Going commando is also an alternative for maximum breathability.
Most importantly, if you do experience any discomfort, seek treatment as soon as possible.
Visit a local Planned Parenthood health center: It’s inexpensive, confidential, and easy. You can call 1.888.743.7526 or book your appointment online.