It's been a devastating time as our community grieves the brutal killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, and Ahmaud Arbery. We acknowledge the pain, fear, and rage that many are feeling, and we condemn all hate, racism, and violence toward Black people.
This moment is set against the backdrop of an ongoing pandemic that disproportionately impacts Black and Brown communities and an appalling lack of national leadership.
The reality is that our country has a long, disturbing history of racism, anti-Blackness, over-policing of communities of color, and state-sanctioned violence against Black communities. This shapes the conditions in which Black people are born, grow, live, work, and access care. Because Planned Parenthood’s mission is to provide health care, education, and advocacy for all people, regardless of who they are or where they live, we must address racism as a public health crisis. Reproductive Justice demands that people have the right to raise their children in safe environments, free from violence.
This moment challenges Planned Parenthood to think even more boldly about how we can build a better, more equitable future. We know that systemic racism and a culture based on white supremacy isn’t limited to police departments — it is hardwired into our economic, political, and judicial systems, including our health care system and Planned Parenthood. Dismantling it begins with acknowledging it and addressing it, within ourselves, our organization, and our communities.
As supporters of Planned Parenthood, here is a list of suggested actions you can take to support Black communities right now.
- Movement for Black Lives Week of Action: Follow Movement for Black Lives' Facebook page for updated action guidance.
- Urge Congress to Take Action: Urge your Members of Congress to support Reps. Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Barbara Lee, and Karen Bass’s resolution to condemn police brutality, racial profiling, and use of excessive force.
- Join Color of Change: Take action with Color of Change here or text FLOYD to 55156.
- Support local bail funds: Support protesters in your city by funding local bail funds, or donate here to have your donation divided between cities across the country.
- Support Black Voters Matter: Support the voter registration efforts of Black Voters Matter.
- Educate yourself & the people around you: We encourage non-Black allies to deepen their understanding of how racism affects us all by reading these anti-racism resources and having conversations with your family and friends.