While we wait for a Supreme Court decision in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization case, abortion providers in California are taking proactive measures to expand access to abortion and get ready to provide care to anyone who needs it. At the state level, Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California has joined the California Future of Abortion Council, also known as CA FAB Council. The council is comprised of sexual and reproductive health care allies, partners, and leaders, and key constituents. It works to recommend solutions that will continue to provide sanctuary for both Californians and those who may seek services here from out of state.
The CA FAB Council recently released a joint report outlining 45 recommendations that 40+ organizations believe will best prepare California as the threats to abortion rights and access grow. The areas of focus of the recommendations are:
- Investment in abortion funds, direct practical support and infrastructure to support patients seeking abortion care
- Cost barriers and adequate reimbursement for abortion and abortion-related services
- Investment in a diverse California abortion provider workforce and an increase in training opportunities for BIPOC and others historically excluded from health care professions
- Reducing administrative and institutional barriers to care
- Legal protections for abortion patients, providers, and supporting organizations, and individuals
- Addressing misinformation and disinformation and ensuring access to medically accurate, culturally relevant, and inclusive education about abortion and access to care is widely and equitably available
- Efforts to collect data, conduct research, and distribute reports to assess and inform abortion care and education needs in California
The full report can be found here.
California continues to be a beacon of hope for those who live here. The recent attempts to restrict or ban access to abortion throughout the country underscore that California must continue to prepare to provide care to those forced to seek services outside of their home state. Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California is proud to be a member of the CA FAB Council and work on solutions to expand, not ban, access to health care, including safe and legal abortion.