With Birth Control, No Exam (BCNE) you can get birth control pills, Depo Provera, the Ortho Evra Patch, an implant, and NuvaRing without a pelvic exam for up to one year.
Planned Parenthood strongly encourages patients to receive regular pelvic exams for early detection of cancers and sexually transmitted infections. However, a pelvic exam will not help determine whether you can safely use hormonal contraception like birth control pills. With careful screening of your medical history and blood pressure, we can determine if hormonal contraception is right for you—without a pelvic exam!
How it works
- Make an appointment with a clinician. No exam required!
- At your visit, we will have you complete a medical history form and sign consents for services.
- Have your blood pressure and weight checked.
- A clinician will then determine if birth control pills, the Ortho Evra patch, NuvaRing, an implant, or Depo Provera injections for 1 year are right for you. Other methods may require an exam.
- There is an office visit charge for this visit, which may be covered by your insurance. We also offer family planning services on a sliding-fee scale.
- An office visit is needed to renew your prescription every year if you wish to continue a hormonal birth control method.
- BCNE is convenient for those getting health care elsewhere but who wish to purchase birth control from Planned Parenthood.
- Be aware that certain health problems may go unrecognized without a pelvic exam. If you have concerns about not having an exam, please let us know.