Feminist Book Club
"Let us pick up our books and our pens, they are the most powerful weapons."
- Malala Yousafzai
As an organization focusing on reproductive health - through healthcare, sexuality education, and advocacy - we felt it was important to develop additional ways to engage our community of supporters in conversation. We hope this forum will provide each of you with an opportunity to stay engaged with PPTNM and feminism in an atmosphere where feminists of all types can learn, share, and grow together.
In Memphis, you can also request to join our group on Facebook to see upcoming events, book giveaways, reading suggestions, and other Feminist Book Club conversations. A list of upcoming and past Memphis Feminist Book Club events is listed below.
In Knoxville, the Knoxville Feminist Action Brigade (KFAB), a PPTNM Action Council, hosts quarterly book club events. For more information on upcoming events, please visit the KFAB Facebook page.
"The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas
"Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower" by Dr. Brittney Cooper
"The Power" by Naomi Alderman
- "Tangleweed and Brine" by Deirdre Sullivan
- "Make Trouble" by Cecile Richards
- " Not My White Savior: A Memoir in Poems" by Julayne Lee
- "Chocolate Cities: The Black Map of American Life" by Marcus Anthony Hunter and Zandria F. Robinsono
- "The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl" by Issa Rae
- "The Female of the Species" by Mindy McGinnis
- "Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History" by Tori Telfer
- "We Were Feminists Once" by Andi Zeisler
- "Life's Work: A Moral Argument for Choice" by Willie Parker
- "This Is How It Always Is" by Laurie Frankel
- "Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House" by Alyssa Mastromonaco
- "The Secret History of Wonder Woman" by Jill Lepore
- "Difficult Women" by Roxane Gay
- "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
- "Juliet Takes a Breath" by Gabby Rivera
- "Break in Case of Emergency" by Jessica Winter
- "Hidden Figures" Margot Lee Shetterly
- "The Mothers" by Brit Bennett
- "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- "My Life on the Road" by Gloria Steinem
- "Only Ever Yours" by Louise O'Neill
If you purchase your book online, be sure to use AmazonSmile in order to benefit Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi with each purchase!