Thank you for your interest in getting involved with Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi. Volunteers, interns, and advocates make it possible for us to provide excellent, non-judgmental healthcare, fact-based sexuality education, and fierce advocacy.
Regular, ongoing volunteer opportunities:
Patient Greeter/Escort: Patient escorts help welcome patients, their companions, and other visitors into and out of the Planned Parenthood health centers. Escorts serve as a calm presence during protester activity, acting as a barrier between patients and protestors, as well as an empathetic and non-judgmental distraction for patients.
- Patient Advocacy Programs: The Patient Advocacy Program are a vital component of Planned Parenthood’s commitment to building a patient-centered movement. Using healthy neighborhood canvassing, health center outreach, and story collection, volunteers meet health center visitors and community members where they are and empower them to make change.
- Free Condoms Tennessee distribution: PPTNM volunteers distribute free safer sex supplies to over 100 sites around Tennessee. Hours are flexible and may include evenings or weekends.
- Education/Promotoras: Education Department and Promotoras Program volunteers may help with preparation of education and outreach materials, updating lesson plans, online research for grant-writing and program development, assisting with educational presentations to teens and young adults, and helping clients fill out paperwork at testing events. Hours are flexible and may include evenings or weekends. Promotoras Program is currently only available in Memphis and volunteers must be fluent in Spanish.
- Outreach: Help represent PPTNM at events such as health fairs, neighborhood festivals, and fundraisers. May involve signing in attendees as they arrive, event set-up and clean-up, and facilitating games and activities. Hours are flexible and may include evenings and weekends.
- Volunteer Doula: Volunteer Doulas engage with patients before, during, and after their abortion procedure to provide emotional care and comfort. Doulas ensure patients’ questions and concerns are addressed prior to the procedure and comfort throughout and after the procedure. This program is only available in Memphis and Nashville.
- Monthly Volunteer Nights: In Memphis, there is a Volunteer Night that takes place on the first Wednesday of every month from 6 - 8 p.m. and involves assistance with a variety of administrative projects including assembly of condom and information packets, promotional materials, mailings, etc.
To RSVP please email [email protected] with your name and phone number and which months' volunteer nights you can attend.
We provide all the necessary training and refreshments!
PPTNM has a limited number of internship opportunities available. Interns accepted into PPTNM's internship programs must fill out an application, submit references, participate in an interview, submit to a criminal background check, and complete online and in-person training courses.
Each intern's time commitment may vary according to the city in which their internship is based and the specific internship roles and responsibilities. Interns seeking college course credit should mention this in their application. Each intern will be paired with a PPTNM staff supervisor who will make assignments and oversee their work.
Internships are offered in the following areas in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville:
- Advocacy/Community Organizing
If you have questions about any of these ways to volunteer at PPTNM, please email [email protected].
If you would like to volunteer or intern with PPTNM, please click here to submit your application online. Once we receive your application, someone from Community Engagement will contact you to discuss volunteer opportunities that best match your skills and availability with our needs.