Mirena is a plastic IUD that releases a small amount of the synthetic hormone progestin to prevent sperm from reaching the cervix.
- Effectiveness at preventing pregnancy: 99.9%
- Lasts for up to 7 years
Paragard is an IUD made of copper
- Contains no hormones
- 98% effective in preventing pregnancy
- Lasts for up to 12 years
- Can be inserted as emergency contraception (details further down this page)
Nexplanon is a thin, matchstick-sized plastic rod that's implanted under the skin of your upper arm.
- 99% effective in preventing pregnancy
- Contains etonogestrel, a progestin hormone used in some birth control methods
- Lasts up to 5 years