What is a surgical abortion?
Abortion is a medical procedure that ends a pregnancy. Surgical abortion procedures are safe and effective.
Surgical abortion works by using suction to take a pregnancy out of your uterus. There are a couple of kinds of surgical abortion procedures. Your doctor or nurse will know which type is right for you, depending on how far you are into your pregnancy.
Please note: Only our Carol Whitehill Moses Health Center in Washington, D.C. offers surgical abortion services.
Before your surgical abortion procedure
Surgical abortion is offered up to 19 weeks and 6 days after the start of your last menstrual period.
Surgical abortions are available by appointment only at our Carol Whitehill Moses Health Center in Washington, D.C.
Plan to be at the health center for 4 to 6 hours for your entire visit for a surgical abortion. Times may increase depending on how many weeks have passed since your last menstrual period.
If you desire sedation to help make your surgical abortion more comfortable, you must have an adult with you to help you get home safely. Sedation will automatically be administered to any patients measuring over 14 weeks since their last menstrual period. All patients receiving sedation must be accompanied by an adult.
If you plan to have sedation, please do not eat for 2 hours or drink clear liquids for 2 hours before your appointment.
If you have asthma, bring an inhaler if you have one.
Please do not bring children with you to the health center.
If you take any medications, please continue to take these medications normally before your appointment. Let the PPMW clinician or nurse know about any medications you take.
When you come to the health center
You will receive the following services during your visit to our Washington, D.C. office: a transvaginal or abdominal ultrasound, lab work, an education session and birth control consultation, the procedure and recovery time.
- Please dress comfortably, bring pads, and wear comfortable underwear.
- Eat a light meal before your visit.
- Please expect to be in our office for 4 to 6 hours. There will be many steps in your visit.
- There is an additional charge if you are RhD negative because you will have to take an additional medication.
During your visit, you may be given the following:
- a pregnancy test
- a chance to speak with a trained staff person about all of your choices: abortion, adoption, and parenting
- a conversation with the health care provider about your health history
- lab tests/blood work
- a pelvic exam
- an ultrasound
- medications to make the abortion more comfortable
- medication if you are Rh negative
- antibiotics or other medications
- birth control information
- a birth control method
We're here to help. You can confidentially find out if you qualify for financial assistance by calling us at 202.347.8500.
Price ranges for our surgical abortion services are:
- Surgical abortion
- 4-11 weeks - $425
- 12-13 weeks - $475
- 14 weeks - $525
- 15 weeks - $600
- 16 weeks - $700
- 17 weeks - $845
- 18 weeks - $975
- 19 weeks - $1075
- sedation - IV medication - $155 (this price is included in abortions above 14 weeks)
- medication if you are Rh negative - $40-100
- post-abortion follow-up exam - Included in price
Some services may have additional charges for lab and blood work
Payment is due at the time of service. We only accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. We do not accept checks.
Please bring your health insurance card with you, even if you are not planning on using it for the procedure. It can be used for birth control, STI screenings and other lab tests. You have to bring proof of insurance if you are using it for your visit. We recommend contacting your insurance company directly to confirm your eligibility and benefits. Co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurances are due at the time of your appointment. Please bring a referral if your insurance requires one to pay for your visit.
If you’d like to be screened for financial assistance, please call us at 202-347-8512.