Abortion at home (via telehealth video appointment) allows you to receive compassionate, expert, abortion care while in the comfort of your own home rather than at a health center. This can be a good option if transportation, childcare, or time off from work make it hard for you to schedule an abortion appointment at one of our health centers.
Telehealth abortion is offered up to 9 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period. Here’s what it involves:
Book your virtual appointment online or by phone at 202-347-8512.
Have an initial screening conversation with one of our staff by phone to make sure the telehealth abortion pill appointment option is safe for you.
Have your telehealth appointment by meeting over secure, private video with one of our providers.
The abortion medications are mailed in a discrete package to your address (the package return address will say the pharmacy name "AMOP" and not "Planned Parenthood") or you can choose to pick them up in the health center.
After you’ve taken the medications, we’ll follow-up with you to make sure the abortion was successful. There are 3 options for follow up:
A phone call in 1 week, followed by a home pregnancy test in 4 weeks and a second phone call.
An ultrasound in 1-2 weeks.
Two different blood tests at the health center or at an outside lab (to check levels of the pregnancy hormone).
If you do experience any complications, you will need to come in-person to our health center for a check-up at no additional cost. This visit may involve an ultrasound or blood tests.
Who can use this service?
- You must be in DC, Maryland, or Virginia at the time of your telehealth visit, and medications must be mailed to an address in DC, Maryland, or Virginia.
- Because of local laws, if you are a minor (under 18) in Maryland or Virginia, we cannot provide a medication abortion at home (telemedicine). You still have access to one of our in-person options.
- A telehealth abortion pill appointment may be a good option for you if:
- You are sure of the first day of your last menstrual period and it is less than 9 weeks and 0 days ago
- You have normal/regular menstrual periods, and your last menstrual period had a normal amount of bleeding and cramping
- You have NOT had any bleeding, pelvic pain, or heavy cramping since your last menstrual period
- When you became pregnant, you were NOT using a hormonal contraceptive (pills, patch, ring) or an IUD (Intrauterine Device)
- You have never had an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy outside of the uterus)
- You have never had Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- You do not have a history of hemorrhage or a bleeding disorder
- You are not taking a medication to prevent blood clots
- You do not have a history of chronic anemia
If you have experienced any of the above conditions, you may be asked to schedule an abortion pill appointment at one of our health centers (not via telehealth).
Paying for medication abortion at home
The cost of an at-home abortion pill appointment (telehealth), including the medications and follow up is $578, which is the same cost as the in-person medication abortion appointment. Financial assistance is available to help cover the cost of your abortion. To find out more, please give us a call at 202-347-8512.
If you’d like to learn about other abortion options, please visit these pages: