At Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts (PPLM), the health and safety of our patients, staff, and community is our top priority. PPLM is closely monitoring the outbreak of COVID-19, and is taking all necessary steps to reduce the chances of its transmission at our health centers and slow its spread.
We are continuing to provide urgent, time-sensitive reproductive health services to patients while making scheduling and appointment adjustments and implementing pre-screening precautions. If you are in need of our services, please call us at (800) 258-4448 for more information on how to access care at this time. If you are interested in a tele health appointment please sign up for a patient portal account and book an appointment online.
Our new pre-screening process is designed to redirect people who may be at risk of passing the virus to others. Upon arriving at a health center, all patients will have their temperature taken either by security or at the front desk and be asked a series of questions about their symptoms and any contact with potential COVID-19 patients. The current list of questions can be found here.
Patients arriving at the health center who answer “yes” to any of these questions: may be asked to reschedule their appointment and will be provided information about who to contact for additional evaluation.
If you have an appointment this week and answered “yes” to any of these questions: Please call us at (800) 258-4448 to reschedule your appointment. Once you have been symptom-free for 14 days, or when it has been greater than 14 days since you came into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you will be welcome to come back to the health center.
Regardless of your plans to visit a health center, if you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, please contact your primary care provider or your local public health department for additional evaluation.
To reduce potential exposures to COVID-19, we have also made the following changes:
- Redesigned our waiting spaces to observe social distance through placing 6 foot markers on our floors with arrows to direct traffic.
- Placed sneeze barriers on our reception desks.
- Placed signage in the health centers to inform patients of our with occupancy limits per room.
- Limited the amount of visits, and people in the health center and introduced programs such as telehealth to better separate those who need to be on site and those who can be better served via telehealth.
- Launched contraception-by-mail and at-home STI testing programs.
- Increased our capacity to do pre-visit work via the phone prior to patients showing up on site to minimize the amount of time they are here.
- Reinforcing cleaning procedures and following infection control guidelines to clean rooms between patients, and disinfecting patients areas according to recommendations.
- Enforced the use of face coverings by patients and staff.
- Screening all staff members daily for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Have masks available for patients who don’t have one at the time of the visit.
- Limit the number of visits and escorts to minimize the number of people on site.
- Trained staff on proper infection prevention and safety protocols.
- Removed sharable items and items that many people can frequently touch from patient spaces.
- Redesigned workflows to make visits faster and more efficient to increase patient safety.
Additionally, we have the following patient guest policy:
- No children may accompany a patient. Please make other childcare arrangements before coming to your appointment.
- We have limited space in our health centers for visitors so at this time we are not routinely allowing companions with our patients.
Please note that this information is subject to change at any point in time and PPLM will continue to follow the most current safety guidelines issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
Thank you for you for your understanding as we take steps to protect our staff and patients while continuing to provide care.
Please feel free to call PPLM staff with any questions: (800) 258-4448.
Dr. Danielle Roncari, Medical Officer