Accidents happen. We understand. Here is some basic information about emergency contraception (EC):
- EC is birth control you can use to prevent pregnancy up to five days (120 hours) after unprotected sex.
- There are three types of emergency contraception — the copper IUD (Paragard) and two types of the the morning-after pill.
- EC is safe and effective.
- The copper IUD is available at all Planned Parenthood of Illinois health centers.
- The morning after pill is available at all Planned Parenthood of Illinois health centers and most drugstores.
- The cost varies from $30 to $65 for the morning-after pill and $500 to $900 for copper IUD insertion.
- Many insurance carriers cover all or a significant portion of the cost of emergency contraception.
- If you do not have health insurance, some of our health centers have financial assistance programs to help you get the type of emergency contraception you need when you need it.
LEARN MORE about Emergency Contraception.