Virtual Visit for Abortion Pills
We offer the following virtual abortion services:
If your last period was more than 10 weeks ago, we can still help. Call us for a referral list of health care providers in your area that offer other abortion services.
- The cost of a telehealth abortion pill appointment, including the medications and follow up, is $470. This is the same cost as an in-person medication abortion appointment.
- Payment is due in full on the day of the telehealth appointment.
- If you are using private insurance or Medicaid, please provide your coverage information to PPIL prior to your visit.
- Financial assistance is available to help cover the cost of your abortion. To find out more, please give us a call at 877-200-PPIL.
Your appointment will take about 1 hour for the entire visit.
During your appointment, a doctor or nurse will discuss whether getting the pills by mail or picking them up at our health center is the right option for you. Please find a private location where you can focus for your appointment. You may use your smart phone, tablet, or computer. Make sure it’s fully charged and that you have good wi-fi/connectivity. Also make sure to give video/microphone access to the virtual visit platform so we can see/hear you.
Your appointment will include the opportunity to ask questions & discuss birth control options.
During Your Visit
- If you are not already enrolled in our patient portal, please enroll using the invitation that was sent to your e-mail. This will allow PPIL to share documents and results with you.
- If you live out of state, you must physically be in the state of Illinois for your visit. If you have any questions, please call 877-200-7745.
- You may use your smart phone for this visit, and may be required to download the free “Teladoc” app. You may also connect with a laptop using Chrome or Firefox.
- Please find a private location for you to connect for your visit.
- Please refrain from doing other activities which require your attention: such as driving or walking about in public.
- You will be able to check-in to your appointment 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time.
- If you do not check-in to your appointment within 10 minutes after your scheduled time, you will need to contact our office at 877-200-7745 to reschedule
- If you get disconnected during your visit, a PPIL staff member will call you to reestablish a new connection and continue your appointment.
- A Telehealth visit requires you and the PPIL provider to be able to see and hear each other. If you are not able or not comfortable communicating on camera, please contact our office at 877-200-7745 to see what other arrangements are available.
- A staff member will share a message with you in our private chat to confirm that you are able to talk about your health and reproductive care safely and without coercion.
If you want, we can follow up with you to make sure your abortion worked and that you are well. In the unlikely event that you are still pregnant, you may need another dose of medicine or to have an in-clinic abortion to end the pregnancy.
We’ll also give you after-care instructions and a phone number you can call with any questions or concerns.
Abortion services may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to have your insurance information at the time of your visit.
If you don’t have insurance and need help paying for your abortion, call us. We may be able to help you with financial assistance. You can also go to AbortionFunds.org for financial help.
Before your abortion, our expert and caring staff will discuss all of your pregnancy options with you to help you make sure abortion is the best decision for you. We’ll also talk with you about your health history to make sure we’re providing the best care for you.
Information Regarding Your Appointment
- During your telehealth appointment, a provider will discuss whether receiving medications by mail or picking them up at a PPIL health center is the right option for you.
- Medications will be shipped in discrete packaging to your Illinois address, and will arrive within 2 business days of your telehealth appointment. The package return address will say the pharmacy name “CarePoint”, not “Planned Parenthood.”
- If you have received an ultrasound during this pregnancy, please fax your ultrasound records to 312-533-2845 prior to your telehealth appointment.
- If you have a record of your blood type, please bring that record to your telehealth visit to show your provider.