Abortion Services in Durango, CO
Durango offers the following abortion services:
- abortion pill (medication abortion)
- in-clinic abortion
- pre- and post-abortion patient education
- post-abortion follow-up exams
- referrals for other abortion services, as needed
- sedation options (medication to make the abortion more comfortable)
Here's what you need to know about abortion services at this health center:
Abortion Pill (Medication Abortion)
Abortion pill (medication abortion) is offered up to 10 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period.
If your last period was more than 10 weeks and 0 days ago, read about our in-clinic abortion services below.
Abortion pill (medication abortion) services are available by appointment only.
Plan to be at the health center for 3-4 hour(s) for your entire abortion pill visit (medication abortion).
You will need to follow up within 1-2 weeks to make sure your abortion is complete and that you are well. In the unlikely event that you are still pregnant, you may need another dose of medication or to have an in-clinic abortion to end the pregnancy.
After your abortion pill visit, you will need access to a telephone, transportation, and backup medical care available to you once you are home.
In-clinic abortion is offered up to 18 weeks and 6 days after the start of your last menstrual period. If your last period was after 18 weeks and 6 days, we can still help. Call us for a referral list of health care providers in your area that offer other abortion services.
In-clinic abortions are available by appointment only.
Plan to be at the health center for 4-5 hour(s) for your entire visit for an in-clinic abortion.
If you desire medication to help make your in-clinic abortion more comfortable, you must have a responsible companion with you to help you get home safely.
If you have asthma, bring an inhaler if you have one.
Other Abortion Services Information
If you take any medications, please continue to take these medications normally before your appointment.
Please do not bring children with you to the health center.
During your visit, you may be given the following:
- pregnancy test
- a chance to speak with a trained staff person about all of your choices: abortion, adoption, and parenting
- a conversation with the health care provider about your health history
- lab tests/blood work
- a pelvic exam
- an ultrasound
- medications to make the abortion more comfortable
- medication if you are Rh negative
- antibiotics or other medications
- birth control information
- a birth control method
At times there may be protesters outside of the health center. We suggest you avoid interaction with them. This health center offers escorts to walk you inside to your appointment.
Please note that we do not accept checks or Colorado Medicaid as payment for abortion services. We can accept New Mexico Medicaid.
Laws and Regulations
Special Information for Teens
No matter what you decide to do about your pregnancy, we think it is important that you talk to your parents about it. If you need help with this, let us know.
If you decide to have an abortion in Colorado and are under 18 years of age, there is a parental notification law that requires the health care provider to notify your parent or legal guardian 48 hours before you can have the abortion.
There is an option for teens who can't tell their parent about their choice to have an abortion. It is called a "judicial bypass". Judicial bypass means you can ask for an order from a judge to allow you to have an abortion without telling your parent.
If you are a minor considering an abortion, please read about parental consent and notification laws that might apply in your state.
Prices and Payment Information
Price ranges for our abortion services are:
- abortion pill (medication abortion) - $465
- 5-11 - $465 (plus additional costs for cervical preparation, as needed)
- 12-13 - $555 (plus additional costs for cervical preparation, as needed)
- 14-15 - $820 (includes IV sedation)(plus additional costs for cervical preparation, as needed)
- 16-18 - $950 (includes IV sedation)(plus additional costs for cervical preparation, as needed)
- sedation — IV medication - $50
- sedation — oral medication - Included in price
- ultrasound only - $90
- medication if patient is Rh negative - $67-127
Payment is expected at time of service unless other arrangements have previously been made.
Abortion services may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to bring in your insurance information at the time of your visit.