Morning-After Pill (Emergency Contraception) in Visalia, CA
Visalia Health Center offers the following emergency contraception (morning-after pill) and related services:
- emergency contraception education
- emergency contraception pills
- IUD (copper)
- IUD (hormonal)
- pregnancy testing
- rape crisis counseling referrals
Emergency contraception (morning after pill) is available at this location:
*** If you need emergency contraception, you can walk in at any time the health center is open. ***
Which kind of emergency contraception should I use?
Emergency contraception is a safe way to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. There are a few types of emergency contraception, and some work better than others.
What kinds of emergency contraception are there?
OPTION 1: There are certain IUDs you can get within 120 hours (five days) after having unprotected sex. This is the most effective type of emergency contraception (99% effective at preventing pregnancy):
- A hormonal IUD. There are two brands: Mirena and Liletta
- The hormonal IUD can be used for contraception up to 7 years, but you can have it removed at any time prior to that
- It often makes your periods lighter and some people stop having periods.
- A copper IUD. There is only one brand called Paragard
- The copper IUD can be used for contraception up to 12 years, but you can have it removed at any time prior to that
- It does not have any hormones, but can sometimes make your periods heavier or more painful.
- A pill with ulipristal acetate. There’s only one brand, called Ella.
- Ella is the most effective type of morning-after pill.
- You need a prescription from a health care provider to get Ella emergency contraception. At your next visit with a health care provider, you can also ask for an advance prescription of Ella.
- You can take Ella up to 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex — but it’s best to take it as soon as you can.
- If you weigh 195 pounds or more, Ella may work less well.
- A pill with levonorgestrel. Brand names include: Plan B One Step, Take Action, My Way, Option 2, Preventeza, AfterPill, My Choice, Aftera, EContra, and others.
- You can buy levonorgestrel morning-after pills over the counter without a prescription in most drugstores, pharmacies, and superstores.
- These types of morning-after pills work best when you take them within 72 hours (3 days) after unprotected sex, but you can take them up to five days after. The sooner you take them, the better they work.
- If you weigh more than 165 pounds, levonorgestrel morning-after pills may not work
Here’s what you need to know about getting emergency contraception (morning after pill) at this health center:
Emergency contraception is now available without age restrictions. If you can’t make it in to a Planned Parenthood health center, you may be able to get emergency contraception at a nearby pharmacy.
Prescription emergency contraception (Ella) is available following a visit with a Planned Parenthood health care provider.
The copper IUD may also be used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected intercourse. Ask your health care provider for more information.
Prices and Payment Information
Please contact this health center for emergency contraception (morning after pill) services pricing information.
Payment is expected at time of service unless other arrangements have been made.
Services for emergency contraception (morning after pill) may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to have your insurance information at the time of your visit.
In California, Medicaid is called Medi-Cal. accepted.
If you are uninsured, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance for your procedure. You can confidentially find out if you qualify by calling us at (877) 855-7526.
If you are eligible for financial assistance you may be asked to bring documentation with you to the health center.