Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

What is the Family Planning Benefit Program (FPBP)?

FPBP is a New York State Medicaid program that provides family planning benefits to women, men and young people with family incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level to prevent unintended pregnancies.  For those who are eligible, FPBP pays the cost of birth control, STI testing, PAP tests, pregnancy tests, gynecological exams, and more at PPHP. There are no co-payments, monthly payments, or deductibles.

Who Qualifies?

·      Women, men, and young people over age 10
·      US citizens 
·      New York State residents
Incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level

Anyone under the age of 21 can qualify regardless of their parents’ income.  The application process is confidential and we can help you obtain a copy of your birth certificate.

How do I know if I’m eligible for FPBP?

Staff at any Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic Health Center can help determine if you are eligible for FPBP or other programs.  We’ll also help you fill out the application. To find out more, call (800) 230-PLAN or email us at [email protected].

If you live in White Plains or Yonkers and are between the ages of 10 – 21 years old, we have a special FPBP Coordinator  to assist you with eligibility, documentation, and the application process.  To find out more about this service, call (914) 220-1047 or email [email protected].

Where can I apply for FPBP?

PPHP has 10 health centers in Suffolk, Westchester, and Rockland counties.  Staff at any of our centers can help you fill out a simple, confidential application.  Call (800) 230-PLAN or email us at [email protected] to make an appointment. If you are in Yonkers or White Plains, and between the ages of 10 – 21 years old, you can call (914) 220-1047 to get personal assistance with your application process. Be sure to bring all the documents listed below to your appointment. You will need them to complete the application.

Is my application confidential?

Yes.  Your application for FPBP – and all other programs – is kept confidential.  All services you receive at PPHP always are kept confidential.

If I’m under 21, can I still apply on my own?

Yes.  Anyone younger than 21 years of age can apply for this program on their own.  Your eligibility will be based on your own income, not your parents’ income.  Even if you are living at home with family, their income is not included.  For more information, please see Teen Health Care & Confidentiality.

What if I have health insurance through my parents, but I don’t want to use it.  Can I still apply for FPBP?

Maybe.  If you have commercial health insurance (i.e., Aetna, Blue Cross, etc.) through your parents or if you have Child Health Plus, but do not want to use it for confidentiality reasons, you can still apply for FPBP.  Call (800) 230-PLAN or email us at [email protected] to make an appointment with an FPBP Coordinator. If you are in Yonkers or White Plains, and between the ages of 10 – 21 years old, you can call (914) 220-1047 to get personal assistance with your application process.

How much is family incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level?

As a current example, a single person (with no children) applying on his or her own can earn up to approximately $21,000/year to qualify for FPBP. If you have children or dependents, the income limit is higher.

Income eligibility changes frequently – we strongly encourage you to call either (914) 220-1047 or (800) 230-PLAN or email us at [email protected] to make an appointment with the coordinator to find out more information.

What are my options if I don’t qualify for the program?

If you don’t qualify for FPBP or decide not to apply, you may still be able to use our free or low-cost services.

How will I know when my coverage starts?

If you qualify, you will get a Medicaid card that covers family planning services.  Bring this card with you when you to your Planned Parenthood family planning visit or when you pick up your birth control at any Medicaid provider or pharmacy.  If you are approved for the program, you will receive this card in about four to six weeks.

What’s covered?

·      All types of birth control
Emergency contraception and follow-up
Pregnancy testing and counseling*
Screening cervical cancer*
Screening for urinary tract or female-related infections*
PAP tests*
·      Gynecological exams*
Male and female sterilization
STI testing and treatment*
HIV testing and counseling*

*when part of a family planning visit

What is not covered?

Abortion services and pregnancy services are not covered under this program (see "What happens if I become pregnant?" below). Other services that are not family planning-related, such as dental care, are also not covered under FPBP.

Where can I get services?

Once you are enrolled in FPBP, you can visit any of the 10 Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic health centers, or any Medicaid provider, for family planning and gynecological services.  There is no limit to the number of visits.  Your visit will be covered as long as it is for a family planning service such as birth control, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing and counseling, PAP test, STI testing and treatment, HIV counseling, or gynecological exams.

You will not have to pay when you go to the pharmacy for your birth control prescriptions – including the birth control patch Ortho-Evra– as long as the pharmacy accepts Medicaid.

Do I need approval from a plan or my primary doctor?

No, you do not need a referral.  There are no managed health care plans attached to FPBP, so you don’t have to join a plan. FPBP covers family planning services at any Medicaid provider and birth control at the pharmacy.

How long does the FPBP coverage last?

If you qualify, you will be covered for family planning and gynecological benefits for a full year and then you can re-certify.

What happens if I become pregnant?

FPBP does not cover abortion services or prenatal care.  However, our Entitlement Counselors can help you enroll in another Medicaid program that does cover abortion services and all pregnancy-related services.  To find out more, please call (800) 230-PLAN or email us at [email protected] and make an appointment with an Entitlement Counselor. If you live in Yonkers or White Plains, and are between the ages of 10 – 21 years old¸ you can call (914) 220-1047 to get personal assistance with your questions from our FPBP Coordinator.

What documents do I need to bring in?

See below or click to find out what documents you need to bring in. If you are unsure about how to obtain these, please call us for assistance before your scheduled meeting.  If you are in Yonkers or White Plains, and between the ages of 10 – 21 years old¸ you can call (914) 220-1047 to get personal assistance with your application process and all of your questions.

It may be helpful to review the following application forms that you will be asked to complete when you come to the health center. It isn't necessary to complete these ahead of time but if you wish to do so they MUST be printed on legal-sized (8.5x14) paper or they will not be accepted.


Document Checklist Application (English) Application (Spanish)
  Application Instructions (English) Application Instructions (Spanish)



Required Document

Documents You Can Use

1. Proof of Citizenship (Bring ONE)

·      Original birth certificate
Original U.S. Passport
Original naturalization certificate
Original INS form - "Green" card

 2. Photo ID (Bring ONE if proof of citizenship does not include a photo)

·      Original driver's license
Original U.S. Passport
Original school ID
Other original official photo ID

 3. Proof of address (Dated within the past 6 months - bring TWO)

·      Driver's license (issued within past 6 months)
Postmarked envelope, magazine subscription, gas, electric or cable bill 
Letter or lease agreement

 4. Social Security Number

·      Bring card or know your number 


  5. Proof of recent, monthly income (Bring ALL that provide income for you)

·      One month's worth of recent, consecutive pay stubs
Unemployment or Social Security award letter or check stub
Worker's compensation/disability award letter or check stub
Letter from employer
Letter of support from family member
Child support/alimony checks
If a full-time student under 21, program card or class schedule
If a full-time student over 21, bring your student loan/financial aid award letter

 6. Letter of termination (Bring ONLY if this applies)

·      If you have held any other job within the past nine months, please provide a letter from your past employer on company letterhead stating your last date of work and your weekly income before taxes at that time. If you cannot obtain a letter from your previous employer, please provide a detailed letter including your last date of work, gross income and reason you cannot get a letter

 7. Documentation of any child or disabled adult care expenses (Bring ONLY if this applies)

 ·      Receipts for child or adult care while you work or attend school

  8. Marriage License/Certificate
(Bring ONLY if this applies)

 ·      If legally married, you must bring a copy of your marriage license/certificate as well as your spouse's Social Security Number and income information (one month's worth of most recent consecutive pay stubs)