Abortion in Memphis, TN
Memphis Health Center - Midtown offers the following abortion services:
- abortion pill (medication abortion)
- in-clinic abortion
- pre- and post-abortion patient education
- post-abortion follow-up exams
- referrals for other abortion services, as needed
- sedation options (medication to make the abortion more comfortable)
Here's what you need to know about abortion services at this health center:
Abortion Pill (Medication Abortion)
Abortion pill (medication abortion) is offered up to 11 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period.
If your last period was more than 11 weeks and 0 days ago, read about our in-clinic abortion services below.
Abortion pill (medication abortion) services are available by appointment only.
Plan to be at the health center for 2-3 hour(s) for your entire abortion pill visit (medication abortion).
You will need to follow up within 1-2 weeks to make sure your abortion is complete and that you are well. In the unlikely event that you are still pregnant, you may need another dose of medication or to have an in-clinic abortion to end the pregnancy.
After your abortion pill visit, you will need access to a telephone, transportation, and backup medical care available to you once you are home.
In-clinic abortion is offered up to 19 weeks and 6 days after the start of your last menstrual period. If your last period was after 19 weeks and 6 days, we can still help. Call us for a referral list of health care providers in your area that offer other abortion services.
In-clinic abortions are available by appointment only.
Plan to be at the health center for 4-5 hour(s) for your entire visit for an in-clinic abortion.
If you desire medication to help make your in-clinic abortion more comfortable, you must have a responsible companion with you to help you get home safely.
If you have asthma, bring an inhaler if you have one.
Other Abortion Services Information
If you take any medications, please continue to take these medications normally before your appointment.
Please do not bring children with you to the health center.
During your visit, you may be given the following:
- a chance to speak with a trained staff person about all of your choices: abortion, adoption, and parenting
- a conversation with the health care provider about your health history
- lab tests/blood work
- an ultrasound
- medications to make the abortion more comfortable
- medication if you are Rh negative
- antibiotics or other medications
- birth control information
- a birth control method
- You should return in 2 weeks and 0 days for a follow-up exam. We can schedule this with you during your visit.
You should return in 2 weeks and 0 days for a follow-up exam. We can schedule this with you during your visit.
Before your procedure:
You will need labwork for an Rh type test. You can get that with us by walking in at least 48 hours in advance of your visit or you can bring a copy of results with your name on it from another lab or physician's office. If you choose to have it done at our health center, it will cost $20.
Laws and Regulations
If you are a minor, you will need a parent or legal guardian's consent for an abortion. A legal guardian must come with your to your appointment. You must bring a valid state issued ID and birth certificate with you. Your legal guardian will also have to bring a state-issued ID. The name on their state-issued ID must match the name on your birth certificate. If you do not have a legal guardian who can help you, call us at 866-711-1717 and we may be able to help.
If you are a minor considering an abortion, please read about parental consent and notification laws that might apply in your state.
Prices and Payment Information
Please contact this health center for abortion services pricing information.
Price ranges for our abortion services are:
- Call toll free (866) 711-1717 for total fees.
- We accept cash and credit cards. We do not accept personal checks. Payment is due at the time of the visit.
- If you are paying by credit card, the person whose name is on the credit card must be present and show a valid ID.
- We offer financial assistance to qualified patients. To see if you qualify, please ask the operator when scheduling appointment or discuss with a counselor at the health center.
- IF ELIGIBLE, you will receive a discount on your total payment.
- Planned Parenthood accepts most insurance. Contact your insurance to ensure that an elective termination is covered and whether or not it needs prior approval and please be sure to bring in your insurance information at the time of your visit. All patients will be required to pay co-pays and deductibles at the time of the appointment. If your insurance declines coverage or your are not usng insurance, you will be responsible to pay the full amount of the appointment at the time of your visit.
Abortion services may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to bring in your insurance information at the time of your visit.