Abortion in Birmingham, AL
Birmingham Center offers the following abortion services:
- abortion pill (medication abortion)
- in-clinic abortion
- pre- and post-abortion patient education
- post-abortion follow-up exams
- referrals for other abortion services, as needed
- sedation options (medication to make the abortion more comfortable)
Here's what you need to know about abortion services at this health center:
Abortion Pill (Medication Abortion)
Abortion pill (medication abortion) is offered up to 11 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period.
If your last period was more than 11 weeks and 0 days ago, read about our in-clinic abortion services below.
Abortion pill (medication abortion) services are available by appointment only.
You will need to follow up within 1-2 weeks to make sure your abortion is complete and that you are well. In the unlikely event that you are still pregnant, you may need another dose of medication or to have an in-clinic abortion to end the pregnancy.
After your abortion pill visit, you will need access to a telephone, transportation, and backup medical care available to you once you are home.
In-clinic abortion is offered up to 12 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period. If your last period was after 12 weeks and 0 days, we can still help. Call us for a referral list of health care providers in your area that offer other abortion services.
In-clinic abortions are available by appointment only.
If you desire medication to help make your in-clinic abortion more comfortable, you must have a responsible companion with you to help you get home safely.
If you have asthma, bring an inhaler if you have one.
Other Abortion Services Information
Please do not bring children with you to the health center.
During your visit, you may be given the following:
- pregnancy test
- a chance to speak with a trained staff person about all of your choices: abortion, adoption, and parenting
- a conversation with the health care provider about your health history
- lab tests/blood work
- a pelvic exam
- an ultrasound
- medications to make the abortion more comfortable
- medication if you are Rh negative
- antibiotics or other medications
You should return in 1-2 weeks and 0 days for a follow-up exam. We can schedule this with you during your visit.
At times there may be protesters outside of the health center. We suggest you avoid interaction with them. This health center offers escorts to walk you inside to your appointment.
Laws and Regulations
A 48-hour waiting period between in-person counseling and procedure is required for all patients. If you are a minor, you will also require at least one guardian's consent and must provide additional documentation for service.
If you are a minor considering an abortion, you will need to bring:
- a valid state/government issued photo ID for yourself, along with a valid state/government issued photo ID for the parent or guardian accompanying you,
- A certified copy of your birth certificate or guardianship papers, which will need to be kept by the health center for your medical file
If your name and/or the name of your parent or guardian is different on your photo ID(s) than it is on the birth certificate, you will need to bring in official documentation explaining why (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.)
If you are a minor considering an abortion, please read about parental consent and notification laws that might apply in your state.
Prices and Payment Information
Please contact this health center for abortion services pricing information.
Payment is expected at time of service unless other arrangements have previously been made.
Abortion services may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to bring in your insurance information at the time of your visit.