Organizations and individuals across the country are raising money in support of Planned Parenthood as lawmakers increasingly pass abortion bans and restrictions. These fundraisers can help Planned Parenthood organizations continue to provide and protect care — no matter what.
Ready to make an impact? Here are some ideas for how to host an event or online campaign to benefit Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), or your local Planned Parenthood health center.
Whether you are running a 5K, holding a paint night, fundraising on social media, playing your favorite video game, or asking friends and family for donations, there are several online tools available to help organize a fundraiser and maximize the amount you raise from your peers in support of Planned Parenthood organizations. Below are some ideas on how to get started!
Get Started with Peer-to-Peer Fundraising (P2P)
If you collect money from your friends and donate it to an organization, that's called "peer-to-peer” fundraising. As an online fundraising strategy, peer-to-peer is an effective way to fundraise in support of Planned Parenthood. You can share your personal story, tell your friends and family why we need to act NOW, speak about all the programs and resources that PPFA and local Planned Parenthood health centers offer, and raise money simultaneously.
Here are 6 easy steps and some helpful tips to help you get started:
1. Set a fundraising goal.
Pick an amount you feel comfortable with and one that is achievable.
2. Who do you know?
Make a list of close friends and family. Add co-workers, club members, dog-sitters, neighbors, and anyone you interact with.
Consider how you engage with them: Are they on social media? Do they respond to emails? This might help inform your outreach.
3. Pick an online fundraising platform.
There are many different platforms you can consider to host a fundraiser. Here are a few options:
- Facebook fundraising is a great way to reach out to your friends and family for your fundraiser. Do you have a birthday or occasion? Use Facebook to take action without leaving the platform! Visit Facebook.com/fundraisers and to raise money for PPFA, select “Planned Parenthood” as the nonprofit.
- Instagram can help to raise awareness and expand your audience's reach. Create a fundraiser in your Instagram bio for PPFA, or add a donation sticker to your Instagram Stories!
- Tiltify: Are you an avid gamer looking for an excellent new way to fundraise? This platform is the perfect way to reach your subscribers as you are live streaming something you love doing, or live streaming that new game everyone's playing.
- GoFundMe: Don’t use social media? That's OK. GoFundMe is a crowdsourcing platform that allows you to tell your story, accept donations, and share with your family and friends by creating a personal fundraising page!
Note that for many of these platforms, local Planned Parenthood affiliates might also be set up to benefit from peer-to-peer fundraising–a great opportunity to support local Planned Parenthood health centers!
Also, remember that all online fundraising platforms have their own rules and requirements for hosting a fundraiser, so be sure to review and follow those closely.
4. Make it personal.
Let your friends and family know why you want to support our cause by sharing your feelings about why Planned Parenthood’s mission matters to you. Share a picture of you or your fundraising team. Donate to your own campaign to get things started. Any size donation will show you believe in your fundraising campaign. Deciding on a monetary number could set the tone.
GO FOR IT!
5. Activate your network.
Recruit those close friends and family and make that ASK!
6. Thank your supporters.
Thank each of your supporters by email, text, phone call or in person! Many platforms already have a “Thank You” button and an automated message for you.