Planned Parenthood’s Spot On App Selected as Gold Honoree for Best Mobile App In the 9th Annual Shorty Awards
For Immediate Release: April 25, 2017
NEW YORK— Planned Parenthood Federation of America is happy to announce that its period and birth control tracker app Spot On was selected as a Gold Honoree in the Health, Fitness and Medical Apps category in the 9th Annual Shorty Awards. Spot On, a free app available for iPhone and Android devices, helps users track and predict their periods, understand their menstrual cycle and manage their birth control while providing expert guidance, tips, and fun facts.
As part of Planned Parenthood’s commitment to providing accurate, personalized sexual and reproductive health information to as many people as possible, no matter where they are, Planned Parenthood launched Spot On in March 2016. The app was designed with input and feedback from hundreds of beta testers who wanted an easy way to learn more about their cycles. Featured on the Apple App Store’s "New Apps We Love," over 490,000 people have downloaded Spot On, with active users in 160 countries and in every state in the U.S.
“We’re thrilled that Spot On is being honored by the Shorty Awards,” said Jenny Friedler, Senior Director, Digital Product Lab at Planned Parenthood Federation of America. “Planned Parenthood is committed to providing accurate, personalized sexual health information to as many people as possible, no matter where they are. Technology has created amazing opportunities for us to reach more people, and we’re continually looking for innovative approaches to get them the information and care they need to stay healthy and reach their life goals – whether that’s on their phones or in a health center.”
Spot On users can track any form of birth control that affects their cycles, including the pill, patch, ring, shot, implant, and IUD. The app is free, easy to use, and helpful for anyone who wants to understand their menstrual cycle, whether they’re on birth control or not. Spot On is also designed for any person who gets a period, and doesn’t make assumptions about gender or sexual orientation. You won't find every shade of pink or lots of flowers and butterflies in Spot On – although you may find a dinosaur.
Planned Parenthood believes everyone should have the information, resources – like menstrual products – and health care they need to stay healthy and achieve their goals, and that menstrual products should be affordable and accessible to everyone.
Since its launch, Spot On has received praise from media:
- Bustle: "... it's probably time you download the new Planned Parenthood Spot On app. Seriously, it's pretty awesome."
- Glamour: “It takes Planned Parenthood's expertise on birth control and completely integrates it into a period tracker. And it doesn't assume that users are on birth control to prevent pregnancy, either, instead keeping in mind that many birth control users are on hormonal contraception to address various medical conditions.”
- Teen Vogue: “This new period tracking app is a serious game-changer."
- The Cut: “... a smart, unassuming, useful piece of technology— thank the gynecological cosmic forces."
- Shape: "We've already downloaded it—have you?"
- The Establishment: “Planned Parenthood's free period tracker is aimed at anyone who menstruates—not just women.”
And users love it, with an average 4 out of 5 star reviews on iTunes:
- "The design is clean, simple, and incredibly informational without being a cutesy pink app with flowers all over it. I'm in love with this app!"
- "This app is user friendly and fun to play with. And now my birth control questions and period info are all in one place!"
- "Get this. It's simple, has no visual clutter, and makes it super easy to track your flow. Thanks Planned Parenthood."
- "Each day it checks to see if you've taken your birth control, an extremely useful tool for forgetful people!"
- "After years of "oh sh*t" moments when my period snuck up on me, Spot On predicted my period to the day in the first month. Awesome. I almost can't wait for my period now. Great app."
Spot On is available for iPhone on the App Store and on Android here.
ABOUT THE SHORTY AWARDS
The Shorty Awards, now in it’s 9th year, continue to recognize the most influential, popular, and culturally relevant brands, organizations, agencies, campaigns and influencers across social media.
The first section of the 9th Annual Shorty Award Brand and Organization winners were announced in AdWeek on Thursday, April 6, and will be celebrated at the star-studded awards ceremony on April 23 in New York City.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With over 650 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of America media office: 212-261-4433
April 18, 2017