Empowerment Through Knowledge: Community Raises Funds for Teen Relationships
By Kylie Hunter, Marketing Project Manager | March 2, 2023, 6:50 p.m.
Category: Community Engagement, Events in the News, Health Care Equity, Healthy Relationships, Relationships, Sex Education, Sexual Health
On February 8, 2022, Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino Counties (PPOSBC) partnered with the Orange County Community Foundation (OCCF) and eight other local organizations for the 2023 Love Is Campaign, an annual, 24-hour virtual giving day to support healthy teen relationships in Orange County and provide access to sexual and reproductive health education.
In total PPOSBC surpassed its fundraising goal of $20,000, raising more than $24,000 from 41 generous donors.
Every day, PPOSBC’s Community Education and Outreach team work with schools and community-based organizations to meet their educational needs by providing interactive, non-judgmental, medically accurate and age-appropriate sexual and reproductive health education for youths, teens and adults.
Last year PPOSBC:
- Reached 80,000 people through community education and outreach events
- Launched the Peer Ambassador Program and provided High School Peer Ambassadors with 300 hours of educational programming to support young people in becoming leaders, advocates and a resource to their peers and community
- Was the sole agency in San Bernardino County to be awarded a CDPH 3-year grant to help provide comprehensive sexual health education in San Bernardino
This year PPOSBC:
- Is on track to exceed 80,000 impressions in the community through community education and outreach programs
- Is launching a new Puberty Program in the spring to engage both youth and their caregivers in important conversations about bodies and how to take care of them
- Hosing a virtual education series to empower caregivers and adults who work with youth to gain knowledge on how to be a trusted adult
Funds raised through the Love Is campaign will help sustain these efforts and make an impact on local youths and teens by providing them with the tools, support, and resources they need to make healthy decisions.
You can still join the movement to empower our youth to have healthy relationships by donating today.