Information on Medication Abortion
Please note: You will speak with a health professional at your appointment about your medical information and all of your options, and you will be able to ask questions. Any information can be updated at that time.
Instructions and Payment Information
This page provides important details that you should understand before your appointment. If you have any questions, contact our call center at 410.576.1414.
Two kinds of abortion are available in the U.S. — medication and in-clinic abortion.
- To learn more about the medication abortion, click here.
- To learn more about the in-clinic abortion, click here.
The following information prepares you for a medication abortion.
It is important to follow these instructions. If you have questions about the instructions or what to expect during your visit, please contact us at 410.576.1414.
Medication & Pre-Existing Condition Screening:
If you use any of these medications, please contact us at 410.576.1414 prior to your appointment:
- Regular aspirin (not baby aspirin)
- Blood thinners
- Anxiety medication
- Prescription pain medication
If you have any of these pre-existing conditions, contact us at 410.576.1414 prior to your appointment:
- Any heart problem
- Severe asthma
- Bleeding disorder
Before the Procedure:
Do not take any aspirin during the 7 days prior to your visit. Do not take illegal drugs or alcohol 24 hours prior to your visit. Please contact us at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
The Day of the Procedure:
- Your visit will last 3-4 hours or possibly longer. There will be many steps and waiting between the steps.
- You will receive the following services during your visit: finger prick for blood typing and hemoglobin (blood count), brief medical history, lab work, vaginal ultrasound, education session, and birth control consultation. You will then take the first dose of the medication here at the Health Center.
- For a medication abortion, please make sure that you eat a light breakfast before your appointment. We recommend that you avoid heavy or greasy food before your appointment.
- You can come by yourself and drive yourself home after the appointment, but you are more than welcome to bring a support person.
- You and your support person MUST have a valid photo ID to enter the Health Center.
Babies and children are NOT allowed in the Health Center for this type of appointment.
If you are late to the appointment, we reserve the right to reschedule. Give yourself plenty of time to reach the Health Center.
Insurance and Payment Information:
We accept cash as well as all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) if the cardholder is present. We do not accept personal checks.
- If you do not have Medicaid or private insurance, the cost of your visit will be $390 and is due at your appointment.
- Please bring your photo id with you to the appointment.
- If you would like to be screened for financial assistance, please contact our Call Center at 410.576.1414.
Medicaid – Bring your Medicaid card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your Medicaid card and your ID must match in order to be used.
Private insurance – Bring your insurance card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your insurance card and your ID must match. We recommend that you contact your insurance company directly to confirm your eligibility and benefits. You are welcome to call us in the afternoon of the day before your appointment when we might have benefit information to share with you. Co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles are due at the time of your appointment.