Your abortion has been scheduled with Planned Parenthood of Maryland. This document provides details that are very important. Please read and understand this document before your appointment. If you have any questions, contact our call center at 410.576.1414.
Instructions and Payment Information
Two kinds of abortion are available in the U.S. — medication abortion and in-clinic abortion.
- To learn more about the medication abortion, click here.
- To learn more about the in-clinic abortion, click here.
The following information prepares you for an in-clinic abortion.
Medication & Pre-Existing Condition Screening:
If you use any of these medications, please contact us at 410.576.1414 prior to your appointment:
Regular aspirin (not baby aspirin)
Prescription pain medication
If you have any of these pre-existing conditions, contact us at 410.576.1414 prior to your appointment:
Any heart problem
Before the Procedure:
- Do not take any aspirin during the 7 days prior to your visit.
- Do not take illegal drugs or alcohol 24 hours prior to your visit.
- Please contact us at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
The Day of the Procedure:
- Your visit will likely last for 3-4 hours, but it may be longer. There will be many steps and waiting between the steps.
- You will receive the following services during your visit: ultrasound, lab work (finger prick for blood typing andiron levels, medical history, information session, and birth control consultation. You will then have your procedure and relax in the recovery room for a short period before being discharged.
- Do not wear any jewelry to your appointment.
- Please make sure that you eat a light breakfast before your appointment. We recommend that you avoid heavy or greasy food before your appointment.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing. Full panties are recommended (no thongs).
- If you plan to have minimal or moderate sedation, you must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can come with you, stay with you the entire time at the Health Center, and take you home.
- If you do not wish to have sedation, you can come by yourself and drive yourself home after the appointment, and you are more than welcome to bring a support person.
- You and your support person MUST have a valid photo ID to enter the Health Center.
- PPM strongly encourages you and your support person to not bring children with you to your appointment. If bringing children is unavoidable, they must be under the supervision of a responsible adult at all times.
- If you are late to the appointment, we reserve the right to reschedule. Give yourself plenty of time to get here.
Insurance and Payment Information:
We accept cash as well as all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) if the cardholder is present. We do not accept personal checks.
If you do not have Medicaid or private insurance, the cost of your visit will depend on how far along in pregnancy you are and is due at your appointment. Please bring your photo ID with you to the appointment. If you would like to be screened for financial assistance, please contact our Call Center at 410.576.1414.
- gestation period up to 11.6 - $500
- gestation period 12 - 13.6 - $600
- gestation period 14-15.6 - $800
Medicaid – Bring your Medicaid card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your Medicaid card and your ID must match in order to be used.
Private insurance – Bring your insurance card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your insurance card and your ID must match. We recommend that you contact your insurance company directly to confirm your eligibility and benefits. You are welcome to call us in the afternoon of the day before your appointment when we might have benefit information to share with you. Co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles are due at the time of your appointment.
It is important to follow these instructions. If you have questions about the instructions or what to expect during your visit, please contact us at 410.576.1414.