Your abortion has been scheduled with Planned Parenthood of Maryland. This document provides details that are very important. Please read and understand this document before your appointment. If you have any questions, contact our call center at 410.576.1414.
Instructions and Payment Information
Two kinds of abortion are available in the U.S. — medication abortion (also called “abortion pill”) and in-clinic abortion.
To learn more about the medication abortion, click here.
To learn more about the in-clinic abortion, click here.
The following information prepares you for an in-clinic abortion.
Before Your In-Clinic Abortion:
Please make sure that you eat a light breakfast before your appointment. We recommend that you avoid heavy or greasy food before your appointment.
If you are having a 2-day procedure: Do not eat solid food or non-clear liquids (like milk or orange juice) at least 4 hours before the 2nd day visit.
DO not take any aspirin during the 7 days prior to your visit.
Do not use alcohol, other substances, or medication that was not prescribed to you 24 hours prior to your visit.
If you take any of these medications, please call us before your appointment:
Regular aspirin (not baby aspirin)
Prescription pain medication
If you have any of these medical conditions, please call us before your appointment:
Diabetes on insulin
Any heart problem
Who Can You Bring to Your Visit:
You may bring a support person with you to your visit and they may accompany you for some parts of the visit.
For COVID: Your support person must be free from COVID symptoms or diagnosis and will be asked to follow the same in-clinic policies as patients.
If you plan to have sedation, you must not drive yourself home. We recommend having a responsible adult who can accompany you home.
If you do not wish to have sedation, you can come by yourself and drive yourself, but you are more than welcome to bring a support person with you.
It is preferred and helpful that children do not accompany you to this appointment due to the long visit length. However, if this will prevent you from being able to keep your appointment, please contact us to make a plan.
Please contact us at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
What to Expect During Your In-Clinic Abortion:
- Wear comfortable clothing and full-coverage underwear (no thongs).
- Do not wear any jewelry to your appointment.
- Your pointer finger must be free of dark nail polish, gel polish, or artificial nails to measure your oxygen levels.
- Our health center is equipped with free wifi as well as charging stations for patients to use during their visit.
- The length of your visit may depend on how far along you are in your pregnancy.
- You should plan to be here anywhere from 3 to 4 hours.
- Your visit will be customized to your unique needs. Not everyone needs the same things. The visit may include:
- Ultrasound on stomach or vaginal
- Lab work, which may include a blood draw
- Health screenings, like blood pressure
- Opportunity to ask questions & discuss birth control options
- If you are less than 18 weeks pregnant, we can usually complete your procedure in one day.
- If you are 18 weeks or greater, the procedure is usually completed over 2 days. Occasionally, your unique circumstance may allow for us to safely care for you in 1 day
- After the procedure, you will spend typically between 15 and 30 min in the recovery room. Sometimes, patients need additional care after their procedure, and may need to stay longer.
What to Expect After Your In-Clinic Abortion:
- Plan on relaxing the rest of the day after an in-clinic procedure. If you spend significant portions of your days on your feet, you may want to consider reducing this over the next few days.
- Consider having a person with you to support your recovery.
- For at least 24 hours after sedation, we recommend you do not drive, operate heavy machinery or make any important decisions.
- Have a supply of maxi pads available at home
- Some people also benefit from a heating pad. If you do not have a heating pad, you can make one with a sock and uncooked rice and heat it in the microwave.
- If you need help - medical or emotional
- Resources are available to you after your abortion. If you are having medical issues, you will be provided with a phone number to call 24/7
- Having a wide range of feelings is normal. You will be provided with resources during your visit to support you emotionally after your abortion.
Insurance and Payment Information:
We accept cash as well as all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) if the cardholder is present. We do not accept personal checks.
If you do not have Medicaid or private insurance, the cost of your visit will be based on how far along in pregnancy you are and is due at your appointment.
• Up to 11.6 weeks = $500
• 12-13.6 = $600
• 14-15.6 weeks = $800
• 16-16.6 weeks = $1,000
• 17-17.6 weeks = $1,200
• 18-18.6 weeks = $1,400
• 19-19.6 weeks = $1,600
• 20-20.6 weeks = $1,800
• 21-21.6 weeks = $2,000
Please bring your photo ID with you to the appointment.
If you would like to be screened for financial assistance, please contact our Call Center at 410.576.1414.
Medicaid – Bring your Medicaid card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your Medicaid card and your ID must match to be used.
Private insurance – Bring your insurance card and your ID to your appointment. The name on your insurance card and your ID must match. We recommend that you contact your insurance company directly to confirm your eligibility and benefits. Co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles are due at the time of your appointment.
Additional Funding – There may be additional funding available to cover the cost of your visit and travel costs. Please call us to learn more.
It is important to follow these instructions. If you have questions about the instructions or what to expect during your visit, please contact us at 410.576.1414.