Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

I’m a guy. Do I have to go to the gynecologist?

Gynecologists specialize in women’s sexual and reproductive health care. Physicians who specialize in men’s sexual and reproductive health care — including the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the male sex and reproductive organs — are called urologists. You can visit a urologist if you’re experiencing any problems with your sexual or reproductive health.

An important way for guys to take care of themselves is to have a physical examination when they become sexually active. During a male examination, a health care provider will feel the testicles, scrotum, and penis to check for any lumps. If any of these checks are painful, let your health care provider know — pain may indicate a problem. You can also learn to do a testicular self-exam from your health care provider.

Usually a health care provider will perform a rectal exam by inserting a lubricated finger into the anus to examine the prostate gland and check for lumps or swelling in the rectum. The health care provider may also explain about how to reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections and a man’s role in birth control and pregnancy prevention.

Tags: going to the doctor