Today, 22 states and counting ban all, or some, abortions. When the U.S. Supreme Court stripped the federal constitutional right to abortion in June 2022, it allowed each state to make its own abortion laws. And now all across the country, people have lost the freedom to make decisions about their own bodies.
State bans block nearly 21 million women — plus more trans and nonbinary people — from abortion care in their home state. They are forced to stay pregnant, self-manage their own abortions, or travel out of state hundreds, sometimes thousands, of miles to get care.
For some people, whether or not abortion is banned in their home state, self-managed abortion is an empowering way to control their own abortion journey. As access to sexual and reproductive health is under continuous attack, now more than ever people struggle to get the abortion information and care they need.
The Planned Parenthood Innovation Team recommends the resources below, which help abortion patients find the legal, financial, and medical information they need — when they need it. These five chat-based resources are available in all 50 states to people who need abortion care:
1. All-Options offers judgment-free emotional support and options as well as counseling by phone. All-Options can also provide spiritual support from clergy who represent a variety of faiths.
2. Aya Contigo, a digital abortion companion, provides evidence-based, step-by-step guidance on medication abortion, abortion pill resources, and emotional support. You’ll be connected with a Spanish-speaking certified assistant online or through WhatsApp.
3. Charley, an abortion chatbot, provides the full range of abortion options based on your zip code. Charley doesn’t offer emotional support, but Charley will help you figure out where to find abortion care.
4. Exhale Pro-Voice is a nonjudgmental emotional support textline for people who have had abortions as well as their loved ones. The textline is available in English and Spanish, and is staffed live by trained peer counselors.
5. Reprocare offers information or emotional support by phone call or text for anyone who is considering or using abortion pills.
Everyone has their own unique experience, and no two pregnancies are the same. Planned Parenthood believes you should have the freedom to control your own body and life. Regardless of your gender, sexual orientation, race, gender expression, immigration status, how much money you make, or where you live, you can always contact your nearest Planned Parenthood health center for high-quality, supportive care and information. We're here for you — no matter what. You can also text “Chat Now” to 774-636 and a Planned Parenthood sexual health educator will text you back in real time. Our chat services are free and confidential.