Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

I am a FTM (Female-to-Male) transman, I turned 18 in February and would like to go about getting on Testosterone. I was wondering how I would go about doing that. I’ve been in therapy for years and such. Is it covered by insurance? How quickly can I get it?


It’s great that you’re feeling ready to get started on testosterone. It sounds like you know this, but it’s really important to make sure you visit a qualified medical professional for your treatment. Where you can go depends on where you live and what services are available in your area. But more and more doctors and nurses are starting to provide hormone replacement therapy for trans folks, including many Planned Parenthood health centers.

You can find a list of Planned Parenthood health centers that provide hormone replacement therapy and other trans health services here. Don’t live near any of those places? Try calling your nearest Planned Parenthood health center to find out if they have a referral for another health care provider in your area that does. Once you find a provider, call your insurance company (you can find the number on the back of your insurance card, usually) to find out if they cover the cost. Some insurance plans do, while others, unfortunately, don’t. Best of luck.

-Emily at Planned Parenthood

Tags: LGBTQ, hormone replacement therapy, trans health