Planned Parenthood is a leader in sexual and reproductive health research. As America’s largest provider of reproductive health care, our 56 unique affiliates operate more than 600 health centers nationwide, reflecting the diverse needs of their communities.
In partnership with our local Planned Parenthood affiliates, we conduct and disseminate high-quality research. The Planned Parenthood Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE) is a program led by the research and clinical quality improvement teams at the national office. Our focus is on research that has the potential to improve health care and outcomes for the millions of individuals and families we serve.
A few examples of recent or ongoing projects include:
A randomized controlled trial on self-injectable birth control (AKA the birth control shot), which could allow women to self-administer the injection, minimizing the barriers and costs of traveling to a health center every 3 months for birth control.
The development of new methods for measuring high-quality contraceptive care.
An evaluation of a new patient-centered birth control counseling model.
We’ve also coordinated numerous clinical trials on birth control, sexually transmitted infections, and other reproductive health care.
We welcome questions and research ideas from patients, clinicians, researchers, and other stakeholders. For more information, contact [email protected].
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
In addition to using new evidence to improve our practices, we share our findings with other leaders in the reproductive health field through peer-reviewed publications and presentations at professional conferences. Below are some examples of journal publications.
- Increased 1-year continuation of DMPA among women randomized to self-administration: results from a randomized controlled trial at Planned Parenthood. (2018). Contraception.
- Differences in contraceptive use between family planning providers and the U.S. population: results of a nationwide survey. (2015). Contraception.
- Predictors of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Completion Among Female and Male Vaccine Initiators in Family Planning Centers. (2015). American Journal Public Health.
- Reductions in pregnancy rates in the USA with long-acting reversible contraception: a cluster randomised trial. (2015). Lancet.
- Weight and body mass index among female contraceptive clients. (2015). Contraception.
- Meeting the Needs of Sexual and Gender Minority Youth: Formative Research on Potential Digital Health Interventions. (2017). Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Planned Parenthood is a winner of the 2017 Lasker Award for public service.
- In 2016, Julia Kohn, Planned Parenthood Federation of America National Director of Research, was named one of 120 Under 40 — The New Generation of Family Planning Leaders.
For media inquiries or to arrange an interview, contact the Planned Parenthood media team at 212-261-4433 or [email protected].