The data also shows strong support for protecting abortion rights at the state level
WASHINGTON, D.C, – Today, as first reported in The 19th*, new polling from Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Change Research highlights the increasing concern over the criminalization of patients and abortion providers. This comes on the heels of state legislators across the country continuing to introduce unpopular abortion bans and restrictions that jeopardize the health and safety of patients and providers.
Six months after the Supreme Court overturned the federal right to an abortion, over one third (32%) of Americans are still outraged. 63% report feeling one or more negative emotions, including terrified and angry, and 41% feel motivated to take action in support of abortion access.
Other Key Findings Include:
- 70 percent of Americans support establishing and maintaining the right to abortion in their state.
- 80 percent of Americans are concerned that domestic abuse survivors could be reported by their abuser for getting an abortion.
- 80 percent of people are concerned that law enforcement could investigate people who have miscarriages or stillbirths if they are suspected of getting an abortion.
- 75 percent of people are concerned that people who get an abortion could be charged with a felony or go to jail.
- 81 percent of people are concerned that doctors and nurses could be charged with a felony for providing an abortion if the patient’s life was at risk and a prosecutor disagrees.
- 80 percent of people are concerned that the risk of being charged with a crime will make doctors and nurses unsure about providing an abortion that could save the life of a patient.
Jenny Lawson, vice president of organizing and engagement campaigns at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, told The 19th*:
“The data is clear: People nationwide, across demographics, unequivocally support abortion rights and do not want state legislators making decisions about their bodies.”
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable sexual and reproductive health care for all people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect, and without judgment, striving to create equitable access to health care. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable education and information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives. Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports the independently incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates operating health centers across the U.S.