Washington, DC - Today, a broad and diverse coalition of nearly 80 organizations released a proactive policy agenda for a fully supportive Congress and Administration to advance sexual and reproductive health in the U.S. and around the world. The Blueprint is significant and unprecedented because it is the first time the wide range of reproductive health, justice, and rights organizations have come together to develop a detailed and intersectional policy agenda.
“The Blueprint for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice” is centered on five principles:
- Ensure sexual and reproductive health care is accessible to all people.
- Ensure discriminatory barriers in health care are eliminated.
- Ensure research and innovation advance sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice now and in the future.
- Ensure health, rights, justice and wellness for all communities.
- Ensure judges and executive officials advance sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice.
From the Blueprint:
We hold true that in order for people to be free and equal they must be able to exercise complete autonomy over their bodies. That’s why we, a coalition of nearly 80 organizations, have come together to set forth a policy agenda to advance sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice for people in the U.S. and around the world.
The Blueprint is a vision for the future that includes forward thinking ideas to transform sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice policy domestically and globally, as well as basic and fundamental measures to correct the backtracking that has taken place in recent years.
Guided by the five key principles, the Blueprint lays out many critical policy goals, including:
- Coverage of and access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care services and qualified providers at no or low cost and without exception for all people, including immigrants, incarcerated individuals, and young people under the age of 18.
- Full access to abortion that is best for an individual and their circumstances and comprehensive insurance coverage for care.
- Comprehensive pregnancy and maternal health care strategies that prioritize the health care needs of pregnant and birthing individuals.
- Strong non-discrimination protections for patients, including protections that ensure providers’ religious or personal beliefs do not dictate patient care.
- Health care system transformation that prioritizes sexual and reproductive health care, including research and development in the field of reproductive health and scientific integrity and transparency in sexual and reproductive health care.
- Foreign policy that prioritizes sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Robust response to the global HIV/AIDS crisis.
- Economic opportunity, freedom from violence, and healthy and safe environments for all individuals, families, and communities.
- Selection and confirmation of administrative and judicial nominees who will advance sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice.
The Blueprint stems from the palpable urgency, in light of increasingly hostile attacks on reproductive autonomy and rights, for a proactive and transformative agenda. In many parts of the United States and around the world, restrictive laws and policies have made it virtually impossible to access the information, services, and providers people need to care for their health and wellbeing.
The nearly 80 organizations who have endorsed the Blueprint are:
Abortion Care Network
Advocates for Youth
AIDS Alliance for Women, Infants, Children,
Youth & Families
All* Above All
American Jewish World Service
American Medical Student Association
American Sexual Health Association
Black Mamas Matter Alliance
Black Women for Wellness
Black Women’s Health Imperative
Catholics for Choice
Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
Center for Reproductive Rights
Civil Liberties & Public Policy Program
Global Justice Center
Harambee Village Doulas
Healthy Teen Network
Ibis Reproductive Health
If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice
In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda
International Women’s Health Coalition Ipas
Jacobs Institute of Women’s Health
Jewish Women International
NARAL Pro-Choice America
National Abortion Federation
National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF)
National Black Women’s HIV/AIDS Network
National Center for Lesbian Rights
National Council of Jewish Women
National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association
National Health Law Program
National Institute for Reproductive Health
National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
National LGBTQ Task Force
National Network of Abortion Funds
National Organization for Women
National Partnership for Women & Families
National Women’s Health Network
National Women’s Law Center
New Voices for Reproductive Justice
Not Without Black Women
People For the American Way
Physicians for Reproductive Health
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Population Connection Action Fund
Positive Women’s Network-USA
Power to Decide
Reproductive Health Access Project
Secular Coalition for America
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS)
Social Workers for Reproductive Justice
SPARK Reproductive Justice Now!, Inc.
Surge Reproductive Justice
The Afiya Center
The American Civil Liberties Union
The Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health
URGE: Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity
Wisconsin Alliance for Women’s Health
Women with a Vision
Woodhull Freedom Foundation
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.