Getting the Message and Getting Tested
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is collecting and analyzing reports from our nationwide network of affiliate health centers that participated in April’s GYT — Get Yourself Tested — campaign. In order to ensure quality of data, comprehensive results will not be available for several months. However, preliminary reports, comparing data from April 2008 to April 2009, demonstrate noteworthy increases in the number of both men and women clients, in addition to the number of clients tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HIV. Preliminary highlights are featured below.
Increases in Clients
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan attracted 34 percent more women clients and 35 percent more men clients.
- Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region reported a 61 percent increase in women clients and a 100 percent increase in men clients.
- Planned Parenthood Health Systems experienced a 103 percent increase in women clients and a 104 percent increase in men clients.
- Planned Parenthood Arizona experienced a 39 percent increase in women clients.
- Tri-Rivers Planned Parenthood experienced a 17 percent increase in women visits.
- Planned Parenthood of Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma saw 22 percent more women clients.
- Six Rivers Planned Parenthood saw a 33 percent increase in women clients.
- Planned Parenthood of the Mid-Hudson Valley had an 89 percent increase in women age 17 or younger.
- Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin saw 246 women aged 17 and under in April 2009, compared to 142 in April 2008.
- Planned Parenthood of the Texas Capital Region saw a 28 percent increase in men clients.
- At Northern Adirondack Planned Parenthood, men clients rose 78 percent.
- At Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas, visits by men nearly doubled.
Increases in Gonorrhea or Chlamydia Testing
- During just two days of $5 testing, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains conducted 2,754 chlamydia and gonorrhea tests, compared to the usual average of 156.
- Planned Parenthood Association of Bucks County experienced a 63 percent increase in women tested for chlamydia.
- At Planned Parenthood of South Central New York, the number of women tested for gonorrhea rose 67 percent.
- At Planned Parenthood of Illinois, 51 percent more men were tested for both gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Planned Parenthood of Georgia experienced a 64 percent increase in the number of men tested for gonorrhea.
Increases in HIV Testing
- Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida experienced a 35 percent increase in the number of women tested for HIV.
- At Planned Parenthood of Indiana, 45 percent more women were tested for HIV.
- At Planned Parenthood of Northern New York, 11 percent more women were tested for HIV. Planned Parenthood Southeastern Pennsylvania tested 25 percent more women for HIV.
- At Planned Parenthood of Central Pennsylvania, 158 women were tested for HIV in April 2009, compared to 44 in April 2008.
- At Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa, the number of men tested for HIV more than doubled.
- Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region experienced a 39 percent increase in HIV tests for men.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 700 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
June 02, 2009
May 14, 2014