Telehealth for Medication Abortion
Information and visit instructions
What is telehealth for the abortion pill?
You are the expert and decision maker in your life. You should hold the power to make decisions that are best for you, your family, and your future. We are here at every step of the way to provide unbiased information and compassionate, non-judgmental, high-quality care. Learn about all your pregnancy options here.
Telehealth for the abortion pill is a safe, convenient, and private option to get an abortion in Illinois. With a telemedicine abortion, you get the same high-quality, professional care and the same medication you would get in-person. The only difference is the virtual visit and pills coming by mail.
In Illinois, Reproductive Health Services offers telehealth for the abortion pill (where you have a virtual visit with a provider and the pills are mailed to you or you pick them up at the Fairview Heights health center). You must have an Illinois address and be in Illinois at the time of your telehealth appointment.
Learn more about abortion options here.
To schedule your telehealth visit, give us a call at 618-277-6668 or book your appointment online here.
Learn more about what to expect before and during your virtual visit for abortion pills below.
Telehealth Medication Abortion Instructions
Visit location: 317 Salem Place, Fairview Heights, IL 62208
Please note: You will speak with a health professional at your appointment about your medical information and all of your options, and you will be able to ask questions. Any information can be updated at that time.
Important Legal Reminders
- Telemedicine abortion is not permissible in Missouri.
- You must be in Illinois at the time of your telehealth visit and will be asked to confirm this.
- You can then choose to have your medication mailed to you or to pick up your medication from the health center.
- If you choose to have your medication mailed to you, it must be mailed to a valid Illinois address.
- Three links will be sent to your email.
- Please review the first two links as soon as possible. They can't wait until the day of your appointment. These include:
- Medical history form & consent forms
- A nurse will call you to review your history in the 2-3 days before your appointment. You can expect the number to appear as "Blocked."
- Short educational video to watch
- The third link is for your video abortion visit. Open this one at your time of visit. We recommend entering your telehealth visit 5 minutes early.
- Medical history form & consent forms
There are no restrictions on what you can eat the day of your visit or when you plan to start your abortion.
- If you take aspirin because of a heart condition, we will advise you if you should discontinue. Otherwise, please use alternative methods of pain control until your procedure is complete.
- Please take all of your routine medications as prescribed unless the nurse or clinician tells you otherwise.
- Refrain from using medications and other substances not recommended by a health care provider the day of your visit.
- If you pick up your medication at the health center, please be sure to bring an ID. It's okay if it's expired. If you don't have an ID, please let the health center staff know ahead of time.
- If you plan to designate a friend or family member to pick up your meds, please alert the clinician at the time of your appointment and be sure to have them bring an ID.
Payment is expected at time of service (credit or debit card). The price of a medication or in-clinic abortion varies depending on how early in the pregnancy the procedure is done or medication is taken, and whether tests, visits, or exams are needed. Our staff will provide you with information on pricing when you make your appointment. If you need help paying for your abortion, we can help. Call our Regional Logistics Center at 618-607-5080.
We recommend contacting your insurance company to confirm your eligibility and benefits. Please bring your insurance card and matching photo ID. Please note that most Missouri insurances will not cover procedures.
If you need financial assistance for your appointment, the Regional Logistics Center can help. Call us at 618-607-5080 for additional support beyond scheduling your appointment. Learn more here.
- Your telehealth video visit can range between 30 and 60 minutes.
- Completing your pre-visit links will help expedite your visit.
- If you are picking up your medication at the health center and ...
- live outside of Illinois, you are required to take your first medication at the health center.
- live in Illinois, you can take your first medication in the clinic or at home at a time of your choice and the second medication within 48 hours.
- Your visit will be customized to your unique needs. Not everyone needs the same things. It's possible the clinician determines that the safest approach to your abortion care requires a component of in-clinic assessment. This is rare, but when it occurs we may ask you to undergo:
- Ultrasound - tummy or vaginal
- Labs, which may include a blood draw
- Health screenings, like blood pressure
- Your telehealth visit will include the opportunity to ask questions & discuss birth control options.
Please do your best to be on time. If you anticipate being late, please call the clinic and let us know.
If picking up your meds, know there will likely be protestors OUTSIDE THE ENTRY GATES. They will attempt to appear as if they work for us and try to stop you before entering the parking lot. Please DO NOT STOP for them and do not allow them to redirect you to another location or an off-site mobile unit.
To cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us or cancel your appointment via the website at least 24 hours in advance.
Thank you! We look forward to caring for you!
Although this center is located in Illinois, the State of Missouri requires that patients from Missouri seeking abortion services outside of Missouri be offered state-mandated materials. You can find those materials here. Please note that you do not need to review these materials or bring them to your appointment in Illinois.
Book an Appointment
Or call 1-800-230-7526