Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

PPWI Votes

Upcoming Elections

Spring Primary Election: February 20, 2018
Polls open 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Text "PPVOTES" to 69866 to get updates!


Register at the Polls

You can register to vote on Election Day or when you vote early. To do so, you'll need to show proof of residency. Any one of the following documents is acceptable as long as it has BOTH your name and current address:

Proof of Residency

  • Valid Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card
  • Any ID card issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck
  • Gas, electric or phone bill (from no earlier than 90 days before Election Day)
  • Check or other document issued by a unit of government
  • Any ID card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and with a photo
  • Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year before the date of the election
  • Residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day
  • University, college or technical institute ID card (must include photo) with proof of enrollment


If a voter does not use a valid Wisconsin driver's license to register to vote, the last four digits of their Social Security Number or their Wisconsin state ID card number must be provided.


Can't make it to the polls on Election Day? You can vote early (also known as in-person absentee) at your local municipal clerk's office. 



Currently, Wisconsin voters are required to have a photo ID to vote. 

Acceptable photo IDs

  • Department of Transportation issued driver’s license (even if privileges are revoked or suspended, the ID is acceptable)
  • Department of Transportation issued identification card
  • Military ID
  • U.S. passport
  • Native American tribal ID
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Department of Transportation receipts for driver’s licenses or ID cards (only valid for 45 days after payment)

Student IDs

Accepted from Wisconsin-accredited universities and technical colleges, but must include:

  • Date of issue
  • Expiration date no more than two years from issuance
  • Student’s signature
  • Secondary document required to prove student status (can be class schedule or tuition receipt)

Additional information

  • IDs do not need a current address on them.
  • Names do not need to match perfectly between photo ID and voter registry.
  • ID photos should similarly resemble voter.
  • Indefinitely confined voters do not require an ID, but do need a witness signature on their absentee ballot.
  • The Department of Transportation offers free ID cards to people who specify that it’s for voting purposes. A birth certificate is not required, but other processes may be required by the DMV to obtain the ID.


Under state law, a voter can request up to three hours of unpaid time off to vote on Election Day. However, the request for time off must be made in advance to give the employer time to adjust work schedules.