Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

Our History

On June 13, 1932, 23 pioneers in the fight to secure reproductive rights signed the Articles of Association of the Maternal Health Association of Missouri, now Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri. The goal of these brave women and men was to address the issue of maternal health among the poor by improving access to family planning information and services. They substituted common fear with common sense, creating strong families and meeting family needs.

100 Years of Care

1916 - America’s First Birth Control Clinic Opens

1932 – The St. Louis Maternal Health Association (forerunner to Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri) is formed, serving only married women

1971 – The Planned Parenthood Association of St. Louis clinics expand service to include pregnancy testing, abortion referrals, and service to minors

1993 – Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region begins offering HIV testing and counseling

1995 – Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region begins providing reproductive medical services to men

2008 – Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region forms a partnership with the CHOICE Project to provide abortion care patients with their choice of highly effective, long active reversible contraceptive method. Almost 1,000 women participate during the first year.

2011 – After a historic tornado destroys much of Joplin, Planned Parenthood’s Joplin health center provides free care and medication to all clients with support from the Missouri Foundation for Health and individual donors

2017 - The Supreme Court decision in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt paves the way for PPSLRSWMO to challenge Missouri regulations. The affiliate publicly announces their intention to provide abortion in Springfield and Joplin health centers.

Comprehensive Sexual Health

Most clients were fitted for a diaphragm and counseled on its use: a simple but controversial service that revolutionized women's ability to plan their families. The staff and board also opened a public lending library to give women, health care providers and social workers factual information about birth control and sexual health.