Preparing for Your Abortion Visit in Iowa
Your abortion consultation appointment is required by Iowa state law.
- The consultation appointment must be completed at least 24 hours before your abortion appointment. During this appointment, the health center staff will give you specific information required by Iowa state law as well as complete an ultrasound.
What to expect next:
- After your abortion consultation appointment is complete, health center staff will schedule the procedure appointment 24 hours or more after.
Appointment instructions and what to expect at the health center:
- Do plan to be at the health center for 2-4 hours
- Do wear a cloth mask or surgical mask
- Do eat a light meal before your appointment and bring a snack and beverage with you
- Do take any medications you use on a regular basis (prescription or over the counter) like normal, unless our nurses tell you not to
- Do not use any street drugs or alcohol for 24 hours before your appointment
- Do not come to your appointment if you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath or were exposed to COVID-19 in the last two weeks
- Please call us to reschedule and talk about your symptoms/exposure
- Bring a government issued photo ID
- Bring your insurance and pharmacy cards
- Bring payment in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express
- If you are driving, please park in the designated parking spots
- If those spots are full, you may park in any open spot
- You might see protesters on the sidewalk at our health center; you do not have to talk to them
- Children must be accompanied by another adult and are welcome to wait in the health center lobby until your appointment is complete
- We will take your temperature before you check-in for your appointment; this is to confirm you do not have a fever - if you do have a fever, a cough or shortness of breath we will reschedule your appointment
Insurance & Payment Information
- Iowa Medical Assistance will not cover the cost of your procedure
- If you have commercial insurance, please contact your insurance company - ask if elective abortion is a benefit of your plan and whether you have a deductible or co-pay
- A $300 deposit will be collected at check-in
- If you are not using insurance:
- Please bring proof of income for the last 30 days with you to your appointment
- Call us at 877-811-7526 to talk about pricing
- Payment is due at check-in
Concerned about payment? Have questions about insurance? We are here to help. Call Patient Services at 877-811-7526.
Mild or Moderate Sedation Instructions
Please increase your fluid intake one to two days before your procedure
You should have a support person with you for your appointment. We will take their temperature at the health center. They should be free of fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
Your support person should:
- Wear a cloth or surgical mask
- Stay at the health center for your entire appointment
- Drive you home or take public transporation with you if needed
Book an Appointment
Or call 1-800-230-7526