From what began as the Mothers Clinic in Detroit in 1922 and the first birth control clinic in Michigan, Planned Parenthood of Michigan has grown to one statewide affiliate with health centers across Michigan. From the three basement rooms on Blaine Avenue in Detroit, which served as our first offices, the agency has grown to include a wide variety of medical services, education programs, and advocacy initiatives. Our history is truly a legacy of special accomplishments. During the 1920s and 1930s, several clinics in Detroit and Ann Arbor provided family planning services to women. By the 1940s, Ann Arbor had incorporated into the Michigan League for Planned Parenthood—Ann Arbor Chapter and separately Detroit had incorporated into the Michigan League for Planned Parenthood.
Over the next fifty years, the Ann Arbor Chapter opened health centers in Ypsilanti, Lansing, and Jackson and changed its name to Planned Parenthood Mid Michigan. In 1998, Planned Parenthood Southwest Michigan and Planned Parenthood Mid Michigan merged into one affiliate forming Planned Parenthood Mid Michigan Alliance. This new affiliate now had health centers from Benton Harbor to Ann Arbor and in 2000 opened another new health center in Brighton. In 2007, Planned Parenthood Mid Michigan Alliance and Planned Parenthood Southeast Michigan merged into Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan. In October of 2009, to improve operations, Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan merged with Planned Parenthood of East Central Michigan. To further streamline operations and stand stronger against repeated attacks on women's health care, another merger took place in January 2012, this time with Planned Parenthood of South Central Michigan, to create an affiliate that was responsible for a service area of 31 counties, 14 health centers, and 83% of the state's population. Then, in May 2016, Planned Parenthood of West and Northern Michigan merged with Planned Parenthood of Mid and South Michigan to create a statewide affiliate serving all of Michigan.
Now one statewide affiliate, Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) has provided reproductive health care services in Michigan since 1922. PPMI is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit, affiliated and accredited with the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. For a century, Planned Parenthood of Michigan has been fighting for and serving thousands of Michiganders. During this time we have experienced monumental changes in reproductive health care. Safe, reliable birth control has replaced ignorance, and thousands of unintended pregnancies have been prevented, empowering individuals and families to make choices regarding the quality of their lives. Our sexual and health education programs have helped thousands of people understand the importance of reproductive health care, and our advocacy work has played an undeniable role in legislative issues throughout the state.