Resources for Families
Links For More Information
The following links are provided for parents to learn more about ways to speak with your family about healthy relationships. Planned Parenthood of Maryland has not necessarily reviewed these sites and does not endorse the material, views, products, or services .
How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex
Books and Other Materials
The following books have been recommended by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S.
- All About Sex: A Family Resource on Sex and Sexuality, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Bellybuttons Are Navels, Mark Schoen
- Caution: Do Not Open Until Puberty!: An Introduction to Sexuality for Young Adults with Disabilities, Rick Enright, B.A., M.S.W.
- Changing Bodies, Changing Lives: A Book for Teens on Sex and Relationships, Expanded 3rd Edition, Ruth Bell
- First Comes Love : All About The Birds And Bees - And Alligators, Possums, And People, Too, Jennifer Davis, Illustrated by Clare Mackie
- From Diapers To Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children, Debra W. Haffner, M.P.H.
- It's A Girl Thing: How to Stay Healthy, Safe, and In Charge, Mavis Jukes
- It's Perfectly Normal, Robie H. Harris, Illustrated by Michael Emberley
- It's so Amazing: A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies And Families, Robie H. Harris, Illustrated by Michael Emberley
- More Speaking of Sex: What Your Children Need To Know and When They Need To Know It, Second Edition, Meg Hickling, R.N.
- The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know), Karen Gravelle
- Sex and Sensibility: The Thinking Parent's Guide to Talking Sense About Sex, Deborah Roffman
- Sexuality: Your Sons and Daughters With Intellectual Disabilities, Karin Melberg Schwier and Dave Hingsburger
- Talking About Sex: A Guide for Families, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Talking To Kids About Tough Issues, Lynne S. Dumas
- Understanding Your Child's Sexual Behavior What's Natural and Healthy, Toni Cavanagh Johnson, Ph.D.
- What if Someone I Know is Gay? Eric Marcus
- Where Did I Come From? The Facts of Life Without Any Nonsense and with Illustrations, Peter Mayle