Planned Parenthood Expands Access to Contraception, STI Testing, and Cancer Screenings and Support for Patients Seeking Abortion
Director Marketing and Communications
[email protected] or 512.923.1985
For Immediate Release: Nov. 15, 2021 (Updated: Nov. 15, 2021, 11:48 p.m.)
(Austin/Dallas/El Paso/Fort Worth/Lubbock/Paris/Tyler/Waco) --- Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas is expanding access to healthcare appointments for uninsured patients at Planned Parenthood’s 24 health centers in Austin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Fort Worth, Lubbock, Paris, Plano, Tyler, Waco and surrounding communities.
The patient care initiative expands access to essential, preventive healthcare services for uninsured patients based on income eligibility guidelines. Healthcare services include:
- Birth control, including IUDs and implants
- Sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment
- Breast and cervical cancer screenings
- Pregnancy testing and options education
- HPV vaccines
- Urinary tract infection treatment
- Gender affirming hormone therapy (in select locations)
“For more than 85 years, Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas has supported healthy Texans. Access to reproductive healthcare is more important than ever with so many Texans underserved by Texas’ healthcare policies and devastated by Texas’ extreme abortion ban. This initiative expands access to healthcare services for the patients we serve,” said Ken Lambrecht, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas.
Additional resources are also available to patients seeking abortion due to Texas’ extreme abortion ban (SB 8):
- Financial assistance to reduce the cost of their medical care
- Support for travel expenses for patients forced to leave Texas (gas cards, flights and other travel and lodging support)
- Patient navigation staff to help patients through the overwhelming realities of obtaining an abortion in Texas today
- Take-home “empowerment kits” containing emergency contraception, early-detection pregnancy tests, condoms, and information about Texas’ abortion ban are available to all patients at no cost.
“Texas’ abortion ban (SB 8) takes decision-making away from patients in such a devastating way. These resources are intended to put some health information and assets directly back into the hands of patients without political interference. This is one way we can support patients as we fight to overturn Texas’ abortion ban. True empowerment cannot happen until sexual and reproductive healthcare information and services, including abortion, are available to all Texans,” said Elizabeth Cardwell, Lead Clinician for Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas.
Background on Planned Parenthood Patients:
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas health centers provided 93,602 patient visits in 2020.
- Texas has among the highest rates of uninsured residents in the U.S.
- In 2020, 64% of patients served were uninsured.
- All are welcome at Planned Parenthood regardless of insurance or documentation status, income level, zip code or who you love. www.ppgreatertx.org