To Help Women Maintain Breast Health
DENVER – In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains is proud to recognize its partnership with the Denver Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. In April 2009, the Denver Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® awarded a $35,970 grant to PPRM’s Aurora health center for breast health education, clinical breast exams and resources to connect its clients with a continuity of medically recommended screening services.
The grant supports the Breast Health Services Project at PPRM’s Aurora health center. The Breast Health Services Project is an initiative to offer free breast health education and clinical breast exams to a high-need population with the goal of identifying breast cancer at an early and treatable stage. The project involves providing breast self-awareness education and clinical breast exams for qualified clients who are uninsured, underinsured, or otherwise in need in addition to helping clients obtain mammograms, breast ultrasounds, or other breast cancer diagnostic procedures.
During Breast Cancer Awareness Month, PPRM is encouraging women to take charge of their breast health and seek information about community resources designed to help women in financial need maintain their breast health.
“While maintaining breast health is important on a daily basis, we hope women in need of a check-up will take action in October to seek education about breast health and preventative breast screenings. Women, especially those most at risk and in need of affordable options, must know that there are organizations and resources in the community that can help them get the care they need,” said PPRM President and CEO Vicki Cowart.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Komen Denver Affiliate is one of 125 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
For more information about the Komen grant available at PPRM’s Aurora health center, call 1.800.230.PLAN.
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains
Since 1916, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains has been committed to providing affordable, confidential health care. Our goal is to ensure that every individual has the information, services and freedom to make healthy, responsible decisions about their sexuality. More than 127,000 women, men and young adults annually visit our 29 health centers throughout Colorado, New Mexico, Southern Nevada and Wyoming. For more information about Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, call 1.800.230.PLAN or visit pprm.org for the health center nearest you.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Denver Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Denver Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Denver Race for the Cure and the Pink Tie Affair, the Affiliate has invested $23 million in community breast cancer programs in their 12-county service area. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the local community. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 303.744.2088 or visit http://www.komendenver.org/.
303 813 7732
720 475 0289
October 06, 2009