MBPP is currently seeking new members for our Teen Council 2016-17 groups in Whatcom and Skagit County! See link below for the application. Application deadline: May 13, 2016.
WHAT IS TEEN COUNCIL?
Teen Council is a peer education program that equips young people to be effective sexual health educators and social justice advocates in their community.
WHO WE ARE
Teen Council is made up of a diverse student body from local schools. Members come to the group with different beliefs and viewpoints. We strive to create a Council that is strong and varied in its membership and work actively to build a group that is anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-homophobic.
There are Teen Councils groups in Whatcom and Skagit County.
WHAT TEEN COUNCIL MEMBERS DO
• We facilitate healthy, open community about sexuality with our peers, family, and in our community
• We educate by providing sex ed presentations in schools and training healthcare professionals on how to provide inclusive and teen-friendly services
• We advocate by meeting with elected officials to voice our needs and concerns about public policy issues
• We participate in weekly meetings and trainings to increase our knowledge and skills.
• We are part of the solution, while connecting others to this important work.
TO BECOME A MEMBER OF TEEN COUNCIL
Applicants must be:
• Entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade for the coming school year
• Able to attend an annual mandatory overnight retreat in late summer
• Able to commit to weekly meetings and occasionally miss school for presentations
ONLINE APPLICATION AVAILABLE HERE:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 13, 2016
Interviews for each group will take place during the weeks of May 18-22 and 25-29.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT TEEN COUNCIL:
Contact: [email protected]