The Contraceptive Equity Act expands access to No Co Pay Birth Control!
The new law provides Maryland women and men in state regulated plans expanded access to birth control, at little to no cost. It also ensures that cost will no longer be a barrier to everyone seeking birth control.
About The Contraceptive Equity Act
The Contraceptive Equity Act was signed into law by Governor Larry Hogan on May 10, 2016. This groundbreaking legislation passed with overwhelming support, including state-wide unprecedented bi-partisan vote counts. The law solidified Maryland’s trailblazing role in women’s health care.
Maryland was the first state to mandate contraceptive coverage in 1998, and in 2016, Maryland became the first state to legislate the most comprehensive insurance coverage of birth control in the nation.
When Does It Go Into Effect?
The new law, which took effect on January 1st of 2018, provides Maryland women and men in state regulated plans expanded access to birth control, at little to no cost. It also ensures that cost will no longer be a barrier to everyone seeking birth control.
One of the Affordable Care Act’s essential health benefits is preventive care, which includes full coverage for at least one form of every FDA-approved female contraceptive method. This requirement remains in force, as none of the 2017 legislative efforts to repeal or change the ACA have been successful.
This Isn't Controversial
Birth control is basic health care. This isn't controversial. It should be affordable and easy to get. Yet far too many people already struggle to access the birth control they need to live healthy, independent lives. Together, let's improve public health throughout Maryland and the nation by starting an affirmative conversation about no copay birth control and all that it makes possible.
The Contraceptive Equity Act enhances, expands, and protects access to contraception, regardless of federal actions.
If you are in a state regulated health plan or on medicaid and have been denied no copay birth control, we want to hear about your experience.
House and Senate Bill Text
Click to view the full Contraceptive Equity Act text.
- Business Insider - Maryland passed a law to give women access to free birth control
- New York Magazine - Maryland Women Will Have the Easiest Access to Contraception in America
- MIC - Maryland Just Took a Huge Step For Women by Offering Free Birth Control
- Reason Magazine - Contraceptive Equity Act Promises "Free Vasectomies and Emergency Contraception In Maryland"
- Inquistr - New Maryland Bill For Contraceptive Equity Just Made All Birth Control Methods Including Vasectomies Free
- The Baltimore Sun - New law puts Maryland at 'forefront' of birth control access
- The Washington Post - Hogan signs bill to make birth control cheaper
- WJZ 13 Baltimore - New Md. Law Makes Birth Control More Affordable, Accessible
- WBAL 11 - New law mandates coverage for some contraception
Book an Appointment
Or call 1-800-230-7526