Planned Parenthood

Nassau County

History

In 1933, five volunteers, a doctor and a nurse founded the Mother’s Birth Control League, later to become Planned Parenthood of Nassau County (PPNC), to meet basic and critical reproductive health and family planning needs.

These forward-thinking, brave individuals were committed to helping women who wanted to prevent unwanted pregnancy and make decisions about the size of their families. During its first year, this health center made birth control counseling and supplies available to the community's then predominantly white married population, serving nearly 500 patients and operating on a budget of less than $5,000.

The Mother's Birth Control League became incorporated as Planned Parenthood of Nassau County in 1973.

  • tumblr icon
  • google plus icon
  • twitter icon
  • rss icon
History