Our founders envisioned a world where all people are free to make life's most profound choices about childbearing and relationships. For 80 years, Planned Parenthood has been working to make this vision a reality in the mid-Hudson Valley.
Planned Parenthood Mid-Hudson Valley empowers individuals to make independent, informed decisions about their sexual and reproductive lives by providing access to high quality, evidence-based and medically-sound health care and educational services, and by promoting and advocating for public policies to make those services available to all. Planned Parenthood Mid-Hudson Valley’s services allow each individual to manage his or her fertility regardless of income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, national origin or residence.
In 1934, members of the Dutchess County Maternal Welfare League established the first birth control clinic in Poughkeepsie, New York.
In 1936, the first clinic in Newburgh, New York was opened by volunteers. Over the next six decades, two affiliates - Planned Parenthood of Dutchess-Ulster and Planned Parenthood of Orange-Sullivan - flourished side by side in the mid-Hudson Valley.
By the 1990's, we had twelve medical offices, educational outreach throughout the four counties and an extensive grass roots advocacy program.
In 1996 the two affiliates merged to form Planned Parenthood of the Mid-Hudson Valley.
Today, we continue to expand access to safe, affordable contraception, preventive health screenings and comprehensive, compassionate care. Our Education Department is the second largest in New York State. Our advocacy program works to ensure our fundamental reproductive rights.