In 2013, Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts launched its newest educational program, the Get Real Teen Council (GRTC).
Get Real Teen Council Mission and Philosophy
The GRTC empowers teenagers to educate their peers, families, and communities about human sexuality and healthy decision making and inspires teens to use their voices to advocate for just and positive sexual attitudes and policies. The vision of the GRTC is to provide accurate, unbiased, and useful sexuality education; to end ignorance, promote acceptance, and improve communication between teens and the important people in their lives.
What do Get Real Teen Council members do?
With programs in Boston and Central MA, GRTC members are educators and representatives of Planned Parenthood. They are trained to do classroom presentations on a variety of sexuality topics as well as to serve as sexual health resources for their peers, family members, and communities. Among other things, GRTC members:
• provide thousands of their peers with accurate non-judgmental information every year
• publicly advocate for sexual health issues
• provide valuable insights regarding what adolescents need and want in both clinical and educational settings
• offer information and resources about sexual health care services to their peers and families
Interested in bringing the GRTC to your school or youth program?
Email: email@example.com or call 617-616-1671
Interested in joining the Get Real Teen Council?
The Get Real Teen Council is now accepting applications for the 2015/16 school year!
Students interested in joining the GRTC must be:
• entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade in September of the school year for which they are applying
• able to attend all weekly meetings
• interested in learning about/teaching others about sexual health topics
• interested in learning about/teaching others about social justice issues
• able to demonstrate respect for diverse opinions, beliefs and values
• able to balance school, GRTC and any other extra-curricular activities
• able to commit to a 3-day retreat prior to the start of the school year and weekly meetings starting in September
• able to make at least a one-year commitment to the GRTC
For more information about joining the Get Real Teen Council, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-616-1671