Planned Parenthood of New York City's Training Institute is a great resource for professionals who want to be prepared to offer sexuality education and stay current on sexual and reproductive health issues. Training Institute participants can receive Continuing Education Credits from the following membership organizations at no additional cost: AASECT, NASW-NYS, and CHES (details below).
FALL 2013 – WINTER 2014 TRAINING INSTITUTE CALENDAR
Just click on the training title for more details and to register and pay. Please read additional information about the Training Institute registration and cancellation policies following the training titles below.
The trainings marked “Basic” provide foundational knowledge and skills that every service provider should have when communicating about sexuality. These trainings are ideal for anyone new to sexuality education, including parents, teachers, school staff, afterschool and camp counselors, case managers, tutors, and mentors. Basic trainings can also serve as refreshers for professionals already working in sexuality education.
Most trainings are held at PPNYC’s Training Institute in Manhattan, unless otherwise noted. Click on the title of the training for more information.
M 10/21/13 - T 10/22/13 - Training of Trainers: Building Your Group Facilitation Skills (Cost: $60)
W 10/30/13 - What Happens When? Exploring Sexual Development through the Life Course (Cost: $30) Basic
W 11/6/13 - Public Insurance and Reproductive Health Care (Cost: FREE)
F 11/15/13 - Demystifying Gender Identity, Expression, and Youth Rights (Cost: $20) Reduced Fee!
Th 11/21/13 - Addressing Health Literacy: Helping Patients Understand Sexual Health Information (Cost: $15) Reduced Fee!
F 12/6/13 - Forum: Latino Immigration, U.S. Policy, and Reproductive Health: What's the Connection? | Film Screening and Panel Discussion (Cost: FREE) Located at the Bronx Museum of the Arts
T 12/10/13 - Don’t Forget the “Pleasure” in Sex Education (Cost: $40) Basic
T 12/17/13 - Birth Control Basics: Education Strategies for Youth (Cost: $30) Basic
T 1/14/14 - No Risky Business: Teaching Clients about Risk Reduction (Cost: FREE) Basic - Located at Queens Library
W 2/6/14 - What Works in Sexuality Education? (Cost: $40)
W 2/12/14 - Undoing Stereotypes and Stigma in Sexuality Education (Cost: $30)
Th 2/27/14 - Beyond "Just Say No" 101: Helping Clients Navigate Sexual Consent (Cost: $30)
T 4/29/14 - Beyond "Just Say No" 201: Helping Clients Navigate Sexual Consent (Cost: $30)
To find out who the trainers are, click on the title of each training and then read their bios.
REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION
- Participants must register at least three business days before each training. Trainings may close earlier if a training fills up. Register early to guarantee a spot.
- Fees include all materials and a certificate of completion. Certificates can be requested in person upon completion of any training or event.
- A light breakfast or refreshments will be provided at each training. A lunch break will be scheduled into all full-day (6-hour) trainings. Lunch will not be provided, but participants can obtain a list of local restaurants from Training Institute staff. Participants are also welcome to eat their lunches in the Training Institute space.
- All trainings will start promptly at the times listed on the calendar. Participants who arrive late will be admitted at the discretion of the trainer.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available through AASECT, NASW-NYS, and CHES. Training Institute staff will provide you with the appropriate CEU paperwork upon completion of the training. Please be prepared to provide your membership ID.
- No unauthorized photography, video, or audio recording is permitted in the Training Institute.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- You may cancel your registration up to 5 working days before the selected training. Your fee will be refunded minus a $10 enrollment charge. If you need to cancel fewer than 5 days prior to the designated training, you may send a substitute from your agency, or transfer your registration to another PPNYC training of your choice (based on availability) within the same calendar year.
- If you have registered but can no longer attend the training, please email training[at]ppnyc[dot]org to cancel, so that we may offer your spot to another interested participant.
- NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS WILL BE GIVEN TO PARTICIPANTS WHO DO NOT ATTEND (WITHOUT CANCELING), OR WHO ARE SIGNIFICANTLY LATE AND THEREFORE NOT ADMITTED TO A TRAINING.
If, for any reason, PPNYC needs to cancel a training or event, we will make every effort to contact individuals as far in advance as possible. If we are unable to reschedule the training within the same calendar year, the full registration fee will be refunded to the registrant.
DIRECTIONS TO PPNYC
Margaret Sanger Square
26 Bleecker Street
(at the corner with Mott Street)
New York, NY 10012
6 to Bleecker Street
B, D, F, or M to Broadway/Lafayette
N or R to Prince Street
M1, M5, M6, M21, M101, M102, M103
Special Note about Visiting PPNYC
Enter PPNYC through the administrative building entrance on Mott Street, between Bleecker and Houston. For security, the guard on duty will need to verify your registration for the training and check your bag and identification. Thank you for your cooperation.
This space is wheelchair accessible. For more information about accessibility, please contact us at (212) 274-7246 or training[at]ppnyc[dot]org.
DIRECTIONS TO QUEENS LIBRARY – FLUSHING BRANCH
Flushing Branch of the Queens Library
41-17 Main Street
Flushing, NY 11355
7 train to the Flushing-Main Street stop (last stop)
This space is wheelchair accessible. For more information about accessibility, please contact the Queens Library – Flushing Branch at (718) 661-1200.
To join the Training Institute e-mail list, send an e-mail with "Join" in the subject line to training[at]ppnyc[dot]org.