Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

Planned Parenthood Votes

Upcoming Election

Tuesday, November 3, 2020 - Presidential Election

Polls open 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Text PPVOTES to 69866 to get updates!


Register at the Polls

You can register to vote on Election Day or when you vote early. To do so, you'll need to show proof of residency. Any one of the following documents is acceptable as long as it has BOTH your name and current address.

This is not a comprehensive list, but categories of the most common types used by voters.

Proof of Residency

  • Valid Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card
  • Any ID card issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck
  • Gas, electric or phone bill (from no earlier than 90 days before Election Day)
  • Check or other document issued by a unit of government
  • Any ID card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and with a photo
  • Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year before the date of the election
  • Residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day
  • University, college, or technical college ID card (must include photo) with proof of enrollment


If a voter does not use a valid Wisconsin driver's license to register to vote, the last four digits of their Social Security Number or their Wisconsin state ID card number must be provided.


Can't make it to the polls on Election Day? You can vote early (also known as in-person absentee) at your local municipal clerk's office. 



Wisconsin voters are required to have a photo ID to vote. 

Acceptable photo IDs

  • Wisconsin issued driver’s license (even if privileges are revoked or suspended)
  • Wisconsin state ID card
  • Military ID or Veteran Affairs ID card
  • U.S. passport
  • Native American tribal ID
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT for driver’s license or ID card (valid for 45 days from date issued)

Student IDs

A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college, or technical college that contains the following:

  • Date the card was issued
  • Signature of student
  • Expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance
  • The university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment, such as a tuition fee receipt, enrollment verification letter, or class schedule.  Enrollment verification document can be shown electronically.

Additional information

  • IDs do not need a current address on them.
  • Names do not need to match perfectly between photo ID and voter registry.
  • ID photos should reasonably resemble voter.
  • Wisconsin DOT offers free ID cards to people who specify that it’s for voting purposes. A birth certificate is not required, but other processes may be required to obtain the ID.


Under state law, a voter can request up to three hours of unpaid time off to vote on Election Day. However, the request for time off must be made in advance to give the employer time to adjust work schedules.