Volunteer Coordinator and Grassroots Organizer
Reports to: Public Affairs Director
Planned Parenthood of Western Pennsylvania (PPWP) is currently seeking a full-time Volunteer Coordinator and Grassroots Organizer to manage the affiliate’s outreach and volunteer activities. The Volunteer Coordinator and Grassroots Organizer (VCGO) reports to the Public Affairs Director.
Volunteer Coordinator: The VCGO will develop and implement volunteer program policies, procedures and strategies including: recruiting, interviewing and matching volunteers and interns within the agency. This involves proactive volunteer recruitment activities as well as responding to inquires received through social media and email. Volunteers are an important part of the overall functioning of PPWP and are placed in every department including health centers, administration, outreach, education, and public affairs. The VCGO will spend approximately 3 days a week managing and implementing our volunteer program.
Grassroots Organizer: The VCGO will engage PPWP activists and volunteers by spearheading exciting grassroots activities and will strengthen and enhance PPWP’s existing grassroots capacity and infrastructure. This VCGO is an integral part of the Public Affairs team, working with the state organization (Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and PAC) on matters of public policy, advocacy, and electoral work particularly around volunteer activities in targeted candidate districts and issue-based political campaigns. The VCGO will spend approximately 2 days a week working on public policy and grassroots organizing.
- Develop and implement volunteer program policies, procedures and strategies
- Recruit, interview and match volunteers and interns with volunteer positions within PPWP
- Schedule volunteer hours within all departments of the agency
- Evaluate volunteer program with attention to benefits accrued by both the agency and volunteers through participation in the volunteer program
- Maintain a system of volunteer screening, evaluation, and termination
- Provide support and staff training necessary to properly utilize and supervise volunteers
- Develop and adhere to a volunteer program budget
- Participate in local, statewide and national volunteer management committees and groups
- Organized and coordinate participation in agency-approved health fairs, community outreach, concerts, and other public events
- Maintain volunteer program and individual records, prepare requisite in-house reports and grant related reports when requested
- Oversee PPWP volunteer groups and projects, including Cocktails for a Cause, Student Groups, and grassroots advocacy groups.
- Serve as lead grassroots organizer: identify, track and mobilize base of supporters for different campaigns as they arise
- Plan and participate field plan for WPA
- Plan and participate in rallies and community awareness events as needed
- Plan and participate in grassroots activities including canvasses and phonebanks
- Assist with public affairs responsibilities and perform all other duties as assigned
- Manage and update databases including VAN and e-mail lists
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Fluency in Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about the state-wide and national policy-making process
- Knowledge of local and statewide politics
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle to travel to health fairs and community events in and around southwestern Pennsylvania
- Highly motivated, outgoing, creative person with demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Ability to manage, engage, and inspire community members, clients, staff, and volunteers around issues of reproductive rights and health
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to connect with people of diverse backgrounds
- Comfort with grassroots organizing skills including phonebanking and canvassing
- Comfort training and leading discussions
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Some supervisory experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted through 10/21/16.
PPWP is seeking a full or part-time clinician to provide preventive gynecologic health care at Planned Parenthood's Pittsburgh area offices. PPWP provides excellent benefits, competitive salaries and provides a supportive and friendly work environment.
Services provided include the following:
-Complete gynecologic care
- Birth control information and counseling
-Colposcopy and cryotherapy (advanced screening and treatment for cervical cancer)
-Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
-HIV risk assessment, testing and counseling
PPWP provides numerous opportunities to advance skills and knowledge base. Under the supervision of the Medical Director, the Clinician will function in an expanded role as the primary provider of medical services.
Successful candidates should be licensed in Pennsylvania and be able to work well with others in a team-oriented environment.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Planned Parenthood of Western PA, Attn. Debbie Cain, 933 Liberty Avenue, PGH, PA 15222 or [email protected]. PPWP is an EOE employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.