MEMPHIS, TN — Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR) is proud to participate again this year in a nationwide campaign to increase testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections called “GYT:
Get Yourself Tested.” In order to raise awareness and encourage testing, PPGMR has planned a number of free testing, treatment and education events at our health center at 1407 Union Avenue, Suite 300, during the month of April.
By age 25, as many as one of every two sexually active young adults will have had a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Almost half of new STI cases each year are among people age 15 to 24. Shelby County has the highest rates in the state of several of the most common sexually transmitted infections.
Sexually active men and women may have an STI without suffering any obvious symptoms. For example, studies show that 3 out of 4 women who have chlamydia have no symptoms at all. However, if left untreated, STIs can lead to serious health problems, including infertility. To make sure you’re in the clear, Get Yourself Tested!
- Throughout the month of April, PPGMR will offer FREE gonorrhea and chlamydia testing for all new birth control patients! Many women qualify for low-cost or free birth control and well-woman exams at PPGMR—find out if you qualify! In order to become a new birth control patient, you must make an appointment by calling (901) 725-1717 or schedule on-line by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/PPGMRappts.
- Monday, April 19th, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., PPGMR will offer FREE STI testing for both men and women, including tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, syphilis and HIV. No pelvic exam is required! It’s a great opportunity for couples to come in together for testing.
- Tuesday, April 27th, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., PPGMR will offer all STI treatments for half-price—a substantial savings!
PPGMR is also offering two healthy educational sessions for teens ages 13 and up. These informal “teen clinic” sessions will give young people a chance to learn the facts about sexuality, STIs and how to prevent infections and unplanned pregnancies. Parents and youth group leaders are welcome! Below are dates and times:
- Tuesday, April 20th, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 27th, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Both sessions will take place at our health center at 1407 Union Avenue, Suite 300. No appointment is needed! For more information about the free testing and treatment events or the teen clinics, please call (901) 725-1717. To find out more about the GYT campaign, go to www.GYTNOW.org.
Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR), founded in 1938, is an affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPGMR’s mission is to ensure broad public access to reproductive and related health care through clinic services, education, advocacy and community partnerships in serving 42 counties in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas.
Director of Community Affairs
April 01, 2010
April 05, 2010