Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR) is proud to participate again this year in a nationwide campaign to increase testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections called “GYT:
Get Yourself Tested.” In order to raise awareness and encourage testing, PPGMR has planned a number of free testing and community education events during the month of April.
- Thursday, April 7, 2011 – Free HIV testing and prevention counseling from 12-3pm at the University of Memphis, Brister Hall, Room 202.
- Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - Free Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and HIV testing from 10am to 4pm, at PPGMR’s health center, 2430 Poplar Avenue.
- Free HIV testing each Monday from 4-7pm at Caritas Village, 2509 Harvard Avenue.
- Free HIV testing each Wednesday afternoon from 1-3 pm at GetWell Community Clinic, 3055 Watson Street.
- Free HIV testing each Wednesday night from 6-9pm at the Memphis Gay & Lesbian Community Center, 892 So. Cooper.
To view the full calendar of GYT testing opportunities and community events, click on this link: http://bit.ly/GYTcalendar.
Sexually active men and women may have a sexually transmitted infection without suffering any obvious symptoms. For example, studies show that 3 out of 4 women who have chlamydia have no symptoms at all. However, if left untreated these infections can lead to serious health problems, including infertility. To make sure you’re in the clear, Get Yourself Tested!
For more information about the free testing events, please call (901) 725-1717 or go to our website, www.ppgmr.org.
Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR), founded in 1938, is an affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPGMR’s mission is to ensure broad public access to reproductive and related health care through clinic services, education, advocacy and community partnerships in serving 42 counties in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas.
Director of Community Affairs
April 04, 2011