PLAY IT SAFE WITH OPEN COMMUNICATION
Although it can feel very awkward and even nerve-wracking to have a conversation with your partner about sex, it is very important to talk and be open before you find yourself in a situation where your personal values are challenged or you are taking risks that are unhealthy. Here are some tips:
- About your past relationships.
- About the importance of being protected and safe.
- About your personal values and boundaries.
- About your emotions and feelings.
- Decide who will be responsible for making sure condoms are available.
- Make sure you know what methods of protection you and your partner will use to prevent pregnancy and disease.
- Visit the clinic to be tested for STIs before you are active with a new partner.
- Have a conversation about responsibility and feelings before you get caught in the heat of the moment.
- Avoid situations that might make it difficult to stay safe.