Welcome to the Gem City! Gem City Safe Bars uses innovative bystander education strategies to empower Dayton-area bar staff to stand up against sexual harassment and assault. Become a leader in your industry and be known for actively reducing the risk of sexual harassment and assault in Dayton by becoming a certified safe bar.
- Increases bar staff understanding of how common unwanted sexual aggression is and why it happens
- Helps staff to identify harassment and other inappropriate behaviors
- Helps staff to recognize and respond to problematic and abusive behaviors by safely and effectively intervening
- Shares with bar patrons safety message that encourage respect and lets customers know that bar staff are available for help
- Promote a culture of respect, safety & support for all
Owners and Managers, What is in it for YOU?
Bars, clubs, and restaurants trained by Gem City Safe Bars reap many benefits.
It’s easy! Safe Bars is a staff training that you don’t have to plan or present. Planned Parenthood and YWCA Dayton staff facilitate a conversation among your staff about which behaviors are okay and which are not, laying the groundwork for a formal or informal policy.
All of our trainings are customized to fit your staff, your business, and its culture. We don’t tell your staff what to do; rather, we build on their skills to create a safer and more welcoming establishment.
Does it work?
Gem City Safe Bars builds on the success of similar programs in Washington DC, Arizona and Boston. Research shows that bartenders, bar staff, and young adults who patronize bars are key groups to address in preventing sexual violence. Read success stories from real people from across the country by visiting Safe Bars: In the News
If you work at or own a bar, club, restaurant, or other alcohol-serving establishment in Dayton, OH and would like to become a Certified SAFE BAR our team would be happy to work with you and your staff. For more information or to schedule a training, complete the on-line Program Request Form.
Sarah Dahlston, Director of Education